Question Is a 120mm AIO enough for an i7 11700k? First time owning an AIO

GerstnerBoi

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
So I recently finished my first PC build from scratch all on my own. While I've used air coolers with previous computers, I decided I wanted to go a little more fancy with a nice looking AIO. I picked the new NZXT 120mm Kraken cause I loved the way the logo looked without the infinity mirror. I also just don't like how bulky 240mm AIO's look. I however don't mind getting one if I have to, and my case does support them. I love this new cooler, however....

I used to have the Arctic Freezer Esports duo which was an insane air cooler that kept everything under 60° C with an i5 8400. But I know an i5 and an i7 both have different performance/wattage which means different thermals. With this AIO and an 11700k I've managed to get a max of 83° C but that's only when launching Minecraft which pushes the cpu hard for some reason lol. However when gaming it hovers more around the 50° - 60° range and SOMETIMES goes to 70° + but very very shortly. I know there are settings in the bios to change when the fans/pump kick in at certain thermals, but I just wanted to confirm this is okay or not recommended. If not I can always pick up a 240mm AIO or the Arctic Freezer one I previously owned.

Im also aware that if the CPU was in any thermal danger the PC will throttle/shut down so I'm not worried about that. I'm just more concerned with the longevity of these thermals, and what is best recommended. Plus it gets quite loud when gaming.

Thanks and any help is appreciated :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I picked the new NZXT 120mm Kraken...
Yeah, that was likely a mistake. Those were made by the same company(Apaltek) that did the Msi MAG and MPG Coreliquids that clog early due to dirty coolant.
In about a year(+/-), you may start seeing the symptoms of said clogging.

As for your actual question: it depends on what the PC spends its time doing, how well thought out the build was, as well as bios + OS power settings.

GerstnerBoi

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
Yeah, that was likely a mistake. Those were made by the same company(Apaltek) that did the Msi MAG and MPG Coreliquids that clog early due to dirty coolant.
In about a year(+/-), you may start seeing the symptoms of said clogging.

As for your actual question: it depends on what the PC spends its time doing, how well thought out the build was, as well as bios + OS power settings.

Yea, apparently the KRAKEN M22 120mm aio was known for being faulty, which is why when people get replacements from NZXT this is the one they get. If I do start seeing this issue though, I'll probably get a higher quality one or just go back to air, as it would probably look good in this build anyway.

Ill be spending my time just doing basic browsing, casual gaming, and sometimes video editing. It will be my daily driver. Id say the build was fairly well thought out. Did plenty of planning and research, airflow has 3 intake in the front, and the AIO in the back. Cable management is clean and doesn't get in the way of airflow. Bios is set to stock, as well as OS power plan, which I think is set to balanced. So everything is stock.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
As long as you're aware of the cooler. I can't say anymore about it.

Ill be spending my time just doing basic browsing, casual gaming, and sometimes video editing. It will be my daily driver. Id say the build was fairly well thought out. Did plenty of planning and research, airflow has 3 intake in the front, and the AIO in the back. Cable management is clean and doesn't get in the way of airflow. Bios is set to stock, as well as OS power plan, which I think is set to balanced. So everything is stock.
Some of that is close to what I meant.

'3 intakes in the front' doesn't mean much by its self. I don't know if you're choking them behind glass, or other solid/semi-solid panel.
'AIO in the back', so you're not going to overwhelm this cooler with the heat from everything in front of it, of which the gpu is usually the largest heating factor of top and rear mounted AIOs.
'Bios set to stock'. 'Stock' varies from board to board; some boards have overclocks or higher* power limits set as their defaults. [Some really weak boards have lower limits in place!]