Is a 144 fps pc system worth the money

kkiwi855

Proper
Apr 30, 2018
im about to build my computer and i would like to know if i should get a computer that is powerful enough to generate 144fps on most triple a titles out right now and other modern games (with a 144hz monitor of course)
the question isnt should i get a 144hz monitor its is it worth the money right now to get a computer powerful enough to display 144hz or in other words should i get a less powerful graphics card or a more powerful and expensive one
the gtx 1060 is $300 and the gtx 1070 ti is $150 more should i get it or not

Solution
Depends on what games you play, and whether you actually think you need 144 FPS or not. If you play competitive games like PUBG or CS:GO or Overwatch, and you really like to win in those games by acquiring an upper hand, then 144 FPS does provide you with a slight upper hand in games like these. But if you only play single player campaigns or you only play for fun and don't mind losing, then 60 FPS is still pretty good.

Also consider the fact that you need a strong CPU for 144 Hz, preferably an overclockable Intel processor, with good cooling and a good overclock.

kkiwi855

Proper
Apr 30, 2018

any reccomendations for a stronger cpu and i live in canada so i5 8600k is $310 way to expensive maybe something around $200-$250 and overclockable unless the i5 8600k is worth it

Unfortunately the 8600K is the lowest I would recommend going for high refresh rate. Future games might need the extra cores, otherwise the 7600K would still have been a viable option, but it's not. If you really want 144 FPS you'll have to push to the 8600K, no way around it. The i3 8350K is an option, but a terrible one.

If your budget is $200-250 for a CPU I wouldn't recommend you to go for 144 FPS gaming, unless you can wait for the 8600K to go on sale, which I don't think is happening soon. Just get a Ryzen 5 1600 and game at 75 FPS, it's still pretty good IMO.

kkiwi855

Proper
Apr 30, 2018

I know this is late and necro-posting but if im playing fps games or games like gta 5, bf4, etc are the extra frames worth it for the money

For single player, not really. I mean yes, 144 Hz is a whole another experience, but honestly the only place it actually gives any advantage is in multiplayer battles where every microsecond you waste in not reacting brings you closer to losing. In single player, that's not really the case. 60 FPS is fine for single player FPS games. Plus, 144 FPS can cost a LOT more than 60 Hz - expensive monitor, strong CPU, good CPU cooler, overclock-friendly motherboard, and a strong GPU to drive all those frames. Those costs can add up to quite an amount.

If you're only playing single player, 144 FPS is almost a waste.

AniChatt

Distinguished
there is another problem with 144Hz. Your GPU will get old really quick rather than a cpu. Even you buy a 8600K then the 1070ti may stay with you up to say 2019 not more than that. Then you have to reduce settings to get 144Hz. And believe me if you are not in a competition or going to win money in a csgo session then increased gfx setting is more worthy than going from 60 to 144Hz. 144Hz over 60 looks incredibly smooth but once you are used to it it will again become a money sucker. Say after 2yr you can not touch 144hz and you can not switch to 60fps monitor so now you have to upgrade your components. Like me I have switched to 21x9 which costs me almost 25-30% more gpu power to drive in same setting compared to 1080p. Now I can not switch back to 1080p as it is simply intolerable for me and I have upgraded my gpu from 970 to 1080 just for this reason.

Looking at your budget I would recommend you to get a 2600 Ryzen 5 along with B350 (needs bios update to run the cpu) or X470 (may be a better option for near future) and put a 1070ti on it and buy a 75Hz monitor and don't even try to feel the 144Hz. Reasons are as follows,
1. You are in a budget and as per your posts it seems you don't have plenty of money lying around to buy whatever you like.
2. You are not a professional gamer
3. Once you are used to it you can not switch back to 60s and you have to buy a better card and other components more frequently.

Lastly don't waste money on 1600 since it is outdated don't support faster ram properly and has lower IPC (slightly) than 2600 R5 or 2600x (even without ocing this cpu it performs really well with XFR2 upto 4.0Ghz+). You may try this config,

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nqchgw
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nqchgw/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($177.39 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($161.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $549.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-26 00:01 EDT-0400

kkiwi855

Proper
Apr 30, 2018

so is the only real reason to get 144 fps for the advantage? i dont want to spent buttloads more money for a slight advantage. but rather how enjoyable it is (on multiplayer games) do you know of a way i can see what 144 fps feels like to judge weather i should get it or not

kkiwi855

Proper
Apr 30, 2018

Thank you for responding. Since i can bump up my budget a bit do you think working some extra hours and saving up would be worth it? and im not going to play competitively btw

AniChatt

Distinguished

Look as long as your GPU can pump 144+ fps on a 144Hz monitor, it will look super awesome as long as the game is running on high setting. I mean the smoothness of game play above 120Hz is heavenly buy I can not differentiate between 120Hz and 144Hz. Now when the 1070ti gets old it can no longer hold 144+ and you will see screen tearing which is annoying. Fast sync is not that helpful and gsync is very costly. At this point you have to decide whether you have to upgrade the GPU or not.
However at that time still you have the option to switch back to 60 fps as long as you can not afford any new GPU.
Bottom line: Go for 120Hz+ monitor for now with a 1070ti preferably a 1080p model so that it will be a bit more budget friendly and the 1070ti can feed the monitor for a longer time. Even for single player games you can enjoy the buttery smooth frame rates. But you also need at least i5-8600 and above for now with 1070ti for those 144Hz. Ryzen will not be a good option for you.

Solution

No, that's not the only reason - many people do it simply for the experience - and it's a great experience(or so I've been told). The only problem is that it is quite expensive to not just get this experience, but to maintain it over the years. GPU's come to their knees quickly when it comes to pushing 144 FPS, especially in AAA games. Still, if you want to spend simply for the experience, it is still a valid enough reason. Just remember that 60 FPS looks a little choppy after you've played on 144 FPS, and it'll take a little time for your eyes to re-adjust to 60 FPS, till which time you probably won't be able to game for a longer duration without feeling a bit nauseous.

You've seen every side of the 144 FPS coin and then some, I think at this point the decision is yours. We can advice, but the final decision whether you want it or not is yours.