[SOLVED] Is a 2500k going to bottleneck a 3060ti?

chchom22

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Been without a video card for almost 6 months. I'm able to get a decent deal on a 3060ti. Can i even run this card? Is it pointless? What if i upgraded the rest of my computer in the fall?

Thanks!

Solution
of course it will be a bottleneck, but if you play on vsync and lock the fps to your monitor refresh rate, i think it will help a little bit. 2500K is pretty ok but a 4c8t like i7 2600 or Xeon E3 1270 (or E3 1240 v2) would be a better upgrade if your motherboard supports it, lifting the bottleneck a little bit :D

Lutfij

Titan
I'd say it's pointless unless you have plans to migrate to a concurrent spec'd platform in the very near future(like 6 months from now) with a $700~$800 budget. If a system rebuild is out of the question, best save the finds. As a side note, for the sake of relevance to this thread, can you include the make and model of your PSU and it's age?

of course it will be a bottleneck, but if you play on vsync and lock the fps to your monitor refresh rate, i think it will help a little bit. 2500K is pretty ok but a 4c8t like i7 2600 or Xeon E3 1270 (or E3 1240 v2) would be a better upgrade if your motherboard supports it, lifting the bottleneck a little bit :D

Solution
A bigger question is what psu you have and how old is it.

The performance will depend a lot on the game (assuming you run 1080p). There are many games that will run very well with max settings and 60+ FPS. However there are games, newer cpu demanding games that will run badly regardless of what gpu you choose. Unfortunately a 4 core 4 thread cpu will struggle in some games. I tried running Gears 5 on a 4670k and it was a mess, barely able to hold 30fps, other gamers were ok.

So the answer is it depends. You need to manage expectations, your cpu is below entry level now so will be a problem in some games. What gpu you choose won’t change this.

Reactions: SamirD

USAFRet

Titan
Pointless?
No.

It will absolutely run. It will be better than what you have now.
Your CPU will be the limiting factor. But if you're going to update the rest of it later, no reason to not get that GPU now.

Of course, this depends on the actual power supply involved.
Which is....?

Reactions: SamirD

chchom22

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I'd say it's pointless unless you have plans to migrate to a concurrent spec'd platform in the very near future(like 6 months from now) with a $700~$800 budget. If a system rebuild is out of the question, best save the finds. As a side note, for the sake of relevance to this thread, can you include the make and model of your PSU and it's age?
650w seasonic (i believe gold)

chchom22

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Pointless?
No.

It will absolutely run. It will be better than what you have now.
Your CPU will be the limiting factor. But if you're going to update the rest of it later, no reason to not get that GPU now.

Of course, this depends on the actual power supply involved.
Which is....?
Seasonic 650w gold from 2011

chchom22

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
A bigger question is what psu you have and how old is it.

The performance will depend a lot on the game (assuming you run 1080p). There are many games that will run very well with max settings and 60+ FPS. However there are games, newer cpu demanding games that will run badly regardless of what gpu you choose. Unfortunately a 4 core 4 thread cpu will struggle in some games. I tried running Gears 5 on a 4670k and it was a mess, barely able to hold 30fps, other gamers were ok.

So the answer is it depends. You need to manage expectations, your cpu is below entry level now so will be a problem in some games. What gpu you choose won’t change this.
Seasonic 650w gold from 2011