[SOLVED] Is a 2560x1440 27" monitor worth it for my current really outdated specs?

Aug 28, 2020
At this moment I'm not really playing games on my pc. It's mainly for watching tv shows, movies, college work etc. And the occasional game that isn't heavy, but I mainly game on my PS4. But I might upgrade my PC and play games in the future so it would be nice if it's somewhat futureproof.

My specs are:
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
ASRock B85M Pro4
8,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz

So basically the question is: can I use a 2560x1440 monitor for my basic usage with this system without experiencing issues? Mainly for watching things and not playing demanding games.
Maybe gaming on it in the future when I upgrade my PC.

Or would I be better off just getting a 1920x1080 at 24 inch.

Solution
For basic usage, you do not need a high powered graphics card,
But check that your display adapter outputs can match what the monitor needs.
Aug 28, 2020
For basic usage, you do not need a high powered graphics card,
But check that your display adapter outputs can match what the monitor needs.
Thanks for the help! One more question: the best output of my GPU is HDMI, it doesn't have a display port.
I looked it up a bit and came to the following conclusion:
A display port is better for gaming, but in my case won't really matter for now. So as long as the monitor has hdmi compatability I should be fine right?

Aug 28, 2020
Dp isn't better for gaming. As long as hdmi and dp can run the res and hz you have, they are equal.
Thank you.

So the monitor I'm looking at buying right now has a HDMI1, HDMI2, and DP.
In the manual it says:
HDMI1 support 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
HDMI2 support 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz / 100 Hz / 120 Hz / 144 Hz

So in that case, as long as I use HDMI2 it should work fine right? There's no requirement for my HDMI port on my PC to have a certain "level"?

Sorry for the maybe stupid questions.

Edit: So I already ordered it but then found out it will probably not work, since my GPU doesn't have HDMI 2.0 (I believe). So I'm probably going to use the monitor on the HDMI1 if that works properly, and buy a new GPU soon.

Last edited:
1 and 2 there is just noting port 1 and port 2 not "level." Hdmi does have versions and the amd 7000 series has hdmi 1.4 which does not support 2k/144. It should have dp so you could run 144hz but it doesn't make sense why you'd want higher hz when it doesn't benefit you.