schadenfreude333

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I picked up a 2500k for $180 last week, but now the 2600k is on sale for $200. I understand there will be little to no difference for gaming, but are the other benefits worth $20? Seems like if possible I should do the trade since I won't be upgrading for a loooooong time. Opinions?

Solution
I always smile when I read people things like "You can disable this (hyperthreading) if it hurts anything, like game performance" Now this is not meant to be condescending to anyone so don't take offense to me quoting this statement! I know you are just pointing out that you can disable it if it may become an issue.

A 2600K is so fast, game performance is NOT going to suffer anything you might notice :) True, you may benchmark a very few frames more with hyperthreading disabled, but if your frames per second on your gaming machine are not up to snuff, believe me, worrying about whether or not you bought a 2500k or a 2600k is the least of your worries! You have much bigger problems elsewhere to deal with my friend!

Anyway, do not...

BVKnight

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

Yes, do the trade. The 2600k normally sells for $100 more than the 2500k. Even if you never use the extra processing power, I would say the incredible deal alone is worth it.

The 2600k has hyperthreading, which means in some programs it will operate closer to an 8-core cpu instead of a 4-core. You can disable this if it hurts anything, like game performance.

The 2600k also ships at a higher stock clock, so you will also probably be able to overclock it more.

So yes, why are we still talking, buy the processor! :D

thux

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I am fairly certain that OP is referring to the sale that Microcenter has going on at the moment.

I am not sure if anyone else is offering this deal though

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Look out Micro Center, here I come. Do you think it would be worth the hassle to swap out a 2500K with the 2600K? I have a Hyper 212+ in place and I am a kind of hesitant to mess with the setup (it was sort of a pain to install), but $200 for the i7 is too good to pass up.

I always smile when I read people things like "You can disable this (hyperthreading) if it hurts anything, like game performance" Now this is not meant to be condescending to anyone so don't take offense to me quoting this statement! I know you are just pointing out that you can disable it if it may become an issue.

A 2600K is so fast, game performance is NOT going to suffer anything you might notice :) True, you may benchmark a very few frames more with hyperthreading disabled, but if your frames per second on your gaming machine are not up to snuff, believe me, worrying about whether or not you bought a 2500k or a 2600k is the least of your worries! You have much bigger problems elsewhere to deal with my friend!

Anyway, do not base your decision on whether or not gaming performance is a problem on the 2600k, no matter what you do, there simply is not much better a home user or gamer can possibly get, yet. Hyperthreading can be a big plus for applications and programs that can make use of it.

Solution