Is a 27' 1080 too grainy when sitting close (sniping on BF3?)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
If you have used a 1440 or higher resolution 27" you will think a 1080 27" looks quite grainy. I used to think they looked great as well until I upgraded now they look terrible to me. If you want to stick with budget monitors don't ever use a high res one. You won't be able to go back.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

Actually you can. Check out 120hz.net

Its basically a group buy for korean build monitors with samsung panels:
~$450
-2560x1440
-s-ips led backlit

And it can be run at 120hz with a GTX 670 or 680 since they have a pixel clock greater than 400. AMD cards tend to max out around 85-95 hz at that resolution.

I'm not talking about modifying hardware and I'm still not sure if that would be reasonable for 3D Vision. IPS monitors are slower than TN, and the fastest TN's still are not fast enough for perfect 3D Vision, but they are close. You add any more latency, and crosstalk happens with the images and you get what looks like bad ghosting.

I've been monitoring some of the forums with regard to people taking the chance on these A- panel-grade monitors:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-ips-no-ag-90hz-achieva-shimian-qh270-and-catleap-q270/2290

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675393&page=110

Kudos to the "pioneers" forking over there money on these.

Some are capable of higher than 60Hz out of the box, others are not. You don't know what you're getting, but the possibilities seem intriguing.

Additionally, the response time is not great with regard to these monitors and ghosting is an accepted characteristic. I've also heard the panels are LG and not Samsung. Are you sure they are Samsung?

If people start having really good experiences with these monitors, this will increase interest and drive prices down and hopefully lead to technology enhancements.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I've been gaming on my catleap for a couple months now and i've had no problems with lag coming from a cheap 5ms NT panel monitor. Although they didn't have the 120hz groupbuy when i bought mine so i got stuck with a newer revision model thats only capable of 65hz. But still for what I paid ($370) its a nice monitor for everything, they've hit $310 on ebay the last time I looked.

Sorry you are right, they are LG panels..my mind must have been wandering when i typed that.

The ghosting I'm talking about is a 3D Vision thing. If the change from one color to the next is a little slow, it shows up for the wrong eye, or you get traces of it. This looks like ghosting, but called crosstalk.

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

A 1080p 27" LCD "TV" and a 1080p 27" "monitor" are the same thing (assuming the TV has connections appropriate for a computer and a setting on the TV setup that is appropriate, and assuming you go to your Nvidia or AMD set up and configure it properly). It used to be there was more of a difference but now the only real difference is whether or not it comes with audio and/or a tuner.

You noticed the pixels because the screen is larger. If you get a larger monitor, and you still sit as close to it, of course you will be more likely to see the pixels. That's why they don't recommend you buy a 60" TV for a tiny room. Well, that, and you don't want to be moving your head around so much.

Think about those google glasses things. Those are 1" monitors. But they are on your head.

To the people recommending these 1200+ resolutions, I agree, get those......but now you're looking at four times the price.

Yes, ASUS is a good choice. I read a ton of reviews before buying mine and ASUS seemed to be a popular and well liked brand for the 1080 27". I've seen them from $280-$350 depending on which model and the year it came out.