[SOLVED] Is a 3080 worth it?

Jakeowar

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014
I game a lot but I’m never running massive AAA games on ultra settings. I want a PC that’s gonna last me a couple years so if I go for a 2080 now or even a 2070 instead of a 3080 will I still get a long time out of that card?

Solution
In that case, it probably makes a lot of sense to wait for the 3060. It will be significantly cheaper than ANY of those cards you've mentioned, and is supposed to have like ~80% of the performance of the 2080 and right now a 2060 Super is more than sufficient for Ultra 1080p gaming and is passable for 1440p gaming, so something more than that should easily be capable of handling either of those acceptable, maybe even admirably well.

I don't see much point in buying two year old technology when latest gen parts are already here, are going to be cheaper once they become readily available and are going to become readily available over the next month or two most likely.
Makes no sense. Why pay more for a 2080, than it would cost for a 3070, and end up with not only less performance but also with a card that will lose it's relevance two years sooner?

What resolution do you, or plan to, game at? What types of games do you mostly play?

Jakeowar

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014
Makes no sense. Why pay more for a 2080, than it would cost for a 3070, and end up with not only less performance but also with a card that will lose it's relevance two years sooner?

What resolution do you, or plan to, game at? What types of games do you mostly play?
Honestly I don’t play much games that run hard. I play a lot of FPS and the hardest to run out of that would be warzone. A 2070 would honestly probably suffice. I never do any 4K.

In that case, it probably makes a lot of sense to wait for the 3060. It will be significantly cheaper than ANY of those cards you've mentioned, and is supposed to have like ~80% of the performance of the 2080 and right now a 2060 Super is more than sufficient for Ultra 1080p gaming and is passable for 1440p gaming, so something more than that should easily be capable of handling either of those acceptable, maybe even admirably well.

I don't see much point in buying two year old technology when latest gen parts are already here, are going to be cheaper once they become readily available and are going to become readily available over the next month or two most likely.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS