[SOLVED] Is a 32/64/120GB SSD Too Small for a Windows 7/10 Boot Drive?

TempTop

Prominent
Mar 9, 2020
Planning on building a new Ryzen 5 2600 emulation machine, and I wanted to keep it cheap. So currently I'm considering a Seagate Barracuda 2TB (ST2000DM008) 7200 RPM as my main game drive, but I'm currently stuck on my boot drive choice of either a Transcend MTS800 32GB M.2 or a TCSunBow X3 60/120GB as they're the cheapest two selections for me.

But the question(s) remains: how much is too little for Windows 7 or 10 in 2020? :homer:

Solution
Planning on building a new Ryzen 5 2600 emulation machine, and I wanted to keep it cheap. So currently I'm considering a Seagate Barracuda 2TB (ST2000DM008) 7200 RPM as my main game drive, but I'm currently stuck on my boot drive choice of either a Transcend MTS800 32GB M.2 or a TCSunBow X3 60/120GB as they're the cheapest two selections for me.

But the question(s) remains: how much is too little for Windows 7 or 10 in 2020? :homer:

People think a M.2. is alot better, it is compact but a SATA SSD will perform just as well. A 120GB SSD If fine for a Windows Boot Drive, and a tiny amount of Apps. But it is very limited. I would rather go for 250GB or more. I have 250GB and it is perfect. I can also have stored some games such...

USAFRet

Titan
Unless this is a web browser only system, 32 and 64GB are right out.
I have a couple of Asus Transformers, one with 32GB and one with 64GB eMMC drives. Very light duty travel machines.

120GB can be made to work, but it is a pain. You end up spending too much time in space management.

And for a game machine..a lot of things end up on the C drive anyway.
250GB or larger.

Reactions: TempTop
Don´t get a M.2, get a normal SATA SSD with at least 240GB. E.g. Crucial MX500 2.5" Sata SSD.

Windows 10 can run on 32GB but not recommended. If an update takes place, this might be to less space to install it.

For game loading screens a SSD can help as well, so maybe choosing a 500GB or 1TB SSD would be best for games and windows.

People think a M.2. is alot better, it is compact but a SATA SSD will perform just as well. A 120GB SSD If fine for a Windows Boot Drive, and a tiny amount of Apps. But it is very limited. I would rather go for 250GB or more. I have 250GB and it is perfect. I can also have stored some games such as Minecraft, Beamng (games which particularly take long to load). A good pair is the HDD you are buying and a cheap 250GB SSD, only that.

Also for reference, PCI-e and M.2 are not faster than SATA, even if they all show consistently different speeds. If you haven't Linus explains it all in this Video

Solution
Also for reference, PCI-e and M.2 are not faster than SATA, even if they all show consistently different speeds. If you haven't Linus explains it all in this Video
That´s not completely correct. In real world yes, I´m completely on your side.
But if you are relying on file transfers, like backing up a lot of data at once, the more MB/s the faster the files are transferred.
View: https://youtu.be/4DKLA7w9eeA?t=257

Still this most likely is more important for professional and enthusiast setups than common gamers/users.

That´s not completely correct. In real world yes, I´m completely on your side.
But if you are relying on file transfers, like backing up a lot of data at once, the more MB/s the faster the files are transferred.
View: https://youtu.be/4DKLA7w9eeA?t=257

Still this most likely is more important for professional and enthusiast setups than common gamers/users.

Yes, I can agree on that. But really for gaming, loading speeds and general use its better off using a SATA SSD. I would much rather use faster SSD's for server setups etc

TRENDING THREADS