Is a 3970X a good CPU for gaming in 2017?

Alexandru_11

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
I have a relative that said he will give me that CPU plus motherboard (and 16 GB DDR3 RAM) since he will upgrade to a Ryzen 1800X. Since I will receive that CPU, I decided that I might as well buy a good graphics card and a new PSU to power it.

Now my question is, how good will that CPU be in 2017? is it worth putting something like a GTX 1070 in it, or should I stick to a lower GTX 1060?

Solution
For gaming, CPUs dont tend to show their age nearly as fast as a GPU. Mainly, because the GPU is more critical to gaming performance. That CPU will push a 1070 nicely. The only problem is the current GPU prices are insane due to mining. The 1070s are going for around the same price as the 1080s.

The 1070 MSRP is $350 and they are selling for around $500. So you might want to consider a 1080 for the same price or wait till the 1070s drop back to a more reasonable price.
For gaming, CPUs dont tend to show their age nearly as fast as a GPU. Mainly, because the GPU is more critical to gaming performance. That CPU will push a 1070 nicely. The only problem is the current GPU prices are insane due to mining. The 1070s are going for around the same price as the 1080s.

The 1070 MSRP is $350 and they are selling for around $500. So you might want to consider a 1080 for the same price or wait till the 1070s drop back to a more reasonable price.

Solution

That cpu will be fine for a good while. Once it does start to show it's age just oc it.

Thank you relative; that is a very nice gift and you have a very good gaming processor.

Typically, a GTX1070 is about right for 1080P gaming.
If your games are fast action, a strong card might be better.
If your games are sims, mmo, or strategy, then a lesser graphics card is ok.

If you think a GTX1060 might suffice, I have a suggestion:

Buy a EVGA GTX1060 and register it.
You will have an option to step up that card to something stronger within 90 days.
Read the requirements on the evga web site.