[SOLVED] Is a 4-pin power connector enough for an i7-8700 at stock speeds?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

My PSU only comes with one 4-pin CPU power connector. I have an i7-8700 that has a total TDP of 65W. I'm planning to upgrade my motherboard and PC case, since my current case is a crappy pre-built with no airflow.

Is one 4-pin connector enough to facilitate power to this CPU for stock speeds at 6 cores (4300 MHz)? I don't plan on ever overclocking it. If I do want to upgrade my CPU, I will be getting a new PSU as well and potentially another motherboard. But right now I want to know if my current setup works.

EDIT: After further inspection it appears my PSU has an 8-pin "EPS12V" connector. Can I plug this into my future motherboard's 8-pin CPU power connector? The motherboard is a GIGABYTE Z390 UD. Looks like this:
BNimgfG.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
EDIT: After further inspection it appears my PSU has an 8-pin "EPS12V" connector. Can I plug this into my future motherboard's 8-pin CPU power connector? The motherboard is a GIGABYTE Z390 UD. Looks like this:
BNimgfG.png
Yes - you can power your motherboard with the 8-pin EPS connector (and the 24-pin). Ideally, you would connect both the 8-pin and the 4-pin, but the 4-pin isn't really required for stock speeds.
BNimgfG.png
Yes - you can power your motherboard with the 8-pin EPS connector (and the 24-pin). Ideally, you would connect both the 8-pin and the 4-pin, but the 4-pin isn't really required for stock speeds.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

Yeah my PSU lacks the 4pin, only an 8 pin with detachable ATX 4-pin, thank you.