[SOLVED] is a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter safe?

Dec 31, 2018
I have seen other threads saying that you really shouldnt use an adapter and since the psu that comes with the case that i bought comes with a 4 pin cable and i dont have the budget for a new psu, is it safe to use an adapter and if it isnt, why?

Solution

If the PSU were capable of powering a GPU that needed an 8 pin, it would have the required outputs and cables.
Since the PSU does not come with the required equipment, it is not capable of powering whatever GPU you have.

And generally, a PSU that is included with a case is badly underpowered and substandard for anything.
Typically no, it's not considered safe to use a 4-pin (molex?) to 8-pin PCIe adapter. Adapters are not standardized and can use thin gauge wire that can melt if too much power goes through them.

It's worrisome that you say 4-pin to 8-pin, because the 4-pin connectors are for the CPU and cannot be used for a GPU. If you mean the molex connector that has 4-pins (called molex, not 4-pin) then that would clear it up. But it's still not safe to use.

USAFRet

Titan

If the PSU were capable of powering a GPU that needed an 8 pin, it would have the required outputs and cables.
Since the PSU does not come with the required equipment, it is not capable of powering whatever GPU you have.

And generally, a PSU that is included with a case is badly underpowered and substandard for anything.

Solution

bignastyid

Titan
More often than not the PSUs that come with a cases are garbage quality. 8-pin cables are designed to provide more power than 4-pin and trying to pull more power than the cable was designed for is a recipe for disaster especially with a low quality PSU.

Whats more expensive a decent psu or a new system?

Dec 31, 2018

Dec 31, 2018

Yeah i know but i want to make sure nothing goes wrong with cpu melting or anything like that.

Dec 31, 2018

A guy on reviews said that he has used the psu for 1 yr+ so im guessing it aint that bad but, again, is it safe to use an adapter?

Dec 31, 2018

A guy on reviews said that he has used the psu for 1 yr+ so im guessing it aint that bad but, again, is it safe to use an adapter?

USAFRet

Titan

"Reviews" are often useless. Is he being paid to say that? Or simply clueless? Or just lucky.

Or running a whole different parts set than you.

So far, we have exactly two pieces of information on your parts:
1. r5 2400g
2. A PSU included with the case.

I've seen reports and videos in car forums where the guy states he has run his car for 10 years without changing the oil, and it didn't die.
Doesn't mean it is a good idea, or that it would work in all cars.

Dec 31, 2018

Well, most reviews (17 i think) said that even though the psu was a generic brand, it was pretty good and functional and usually if you need a 4 pin to 8 pin then that means the psu aint that good and, again, i have seen many reviews of startech adapters being really good so im guessing there isnt much problem.

USAFRet

Titan

You do not need an adapter.

The quality of the PSU? That's all on you.
I wouldn't.

Dec 31, 2018

https://pcel.com/Acteck-R-500-126688 so apparently this is the included psu

Dec 31, 2018
But the only thing im asking is if there is any problem with the adapter, if there is then i just use 4 pin, if there isnt then i just buy the adapter, its cheap anywa. Btw sorry if i sound dumb or stubborn, im a begineer

USAFRet

Titan

And we're just trying to help you.
You're tapping into decades of collective experience here.

And generally, a no name PSU that comes included with a case is a bad idea.

That's a 300W PSU if it can even do that much.

Get a new PSU, a good quality one.

Dec 31, 2018

Does it the r5 2400g vega 11 draw more than 100w though, cause that psu does manage to get 300w as far as im aware, and adding up an ssd and mobo, i dont think it even draws more than 200w

That's an extremely low quality PSU.

It needs to be replaced no matter what with a quality PSU.

You are putting the system at risk.