[SOLVED] Is a 450 W non-modular PSU enough for this PC

May 9, 2020
I am building a pc with AMD Ryzen 3600/Radeon RX580/Gigabyte B450 AorusM. Is EVGA's 450 W non-modular enough for this PC?

Solution
I'd not run a Rx580 on a 450w psu. 550w minimum. Those cards (well amd in general) are well known to spike and will drive a 450w's protections nuts. It's not uncommon for a 580 to hit 225w just gaming and can hit @ 240w in torture tests. Spikes of upto 50w higher are not that uncommon.

A CX 550w would be a far more suitable choice imho. (And usually cheaper due to competition at that wattage range)

Don't buy from 3rd party vendors atm, they are price gouging like bandits. Buy directly from Corsair store, after first signing up for an account and getting a discount coupon code. Just bought a Corsair SF600 Platinum for $140 after taxes (listed at $145 before coupon/tax) when The 'A' place was wanting $399 Before taxes.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd not run a Rx580 on a 450w psu. 550w minimum. Those cards (well amd in general) are well known to spike and will drive a 450w's protections nuts. It's not uncommon for a 580 to hit 225w just gaming and can hit @ 240w in torture tests. Spikes of upto 50w higher are not that uncommon.

A CX 550w would be a far more suitable choice imho. (And usually cheaper due to competition at that wattage range)

Don't buy from 3rd party vendors atm, they are price gouging like bandits. Buy directly from Corsair store, after first signing up for an account and getting a discount coupon code. Just bought a Corsair SF600 Platinum for $140 after taxes (listed at $145 before coupon/tax) when The 'A' place was wanting $399 Before taxes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

Absolutely if he can get a higher wattage PSU for a little more, it's going to be a better choice.

I was looking at this and didn't think a good 450W would be to bad: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-580-review,5020-6.html

I mean.. Polaris has issues still. That's why I wouldn't suggest using it on a double forward PSU. The transformer gets loud from the hard-switching. But I haven't see the shut down issues like I've seen with Vega.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah. My concern would be the 3600 pulling 90w when boosted (before PBO or its additional levels), all the stuff including drives, fans, USB phone/headphones, any rgb etc pulling upto @ 100w and then having a Rx580 hitting 200w+ gaming. 1 small spike and you are at 450w, one decent sized spike and you'll be finding out exactly where the protection settings are set to.

Corsair has the CX 550w at $75. Same as other ppl have the 450w. Add in the instant coupon code, and with taxes you'll still be spending far less. Unfortunately stock is hit or miss, with covid demands and shipping issues. Imho its well worth the few days wait to get the better, stronger 550w at less cost than the 450w.

Apart from which I'd MUCH rather have to deal with Corsair directly than Newegg or Amazon IF there was any unforeseen need for warranty/RMA. I've been dealing with Corsair for over 20 years, Zero complaints from me, top notch service. Can't/won't say the same for the others.

Reactions: jonnyguru