[SOLVED] Is a 450 watt psu enough for a Ryzen 5 3500?

jorokitaeca

Commendable
Aug 21, 2019
Just wondering if a 450 watt gigabyte p450b would be enough for a single fan 4gb XFX rx 470 a Ryzen 5 3500 and 16 gigs of ddr4 ram on a B450 tomahawk max motherboard. No rgb on any of the components neither on the case

Solution
You likely have just enough wattage, but this is also a group-regulated PSU that is only "really" a 432W PSU in modern (post-Pentium III) terms, and of rather mediocre quality. It's probably not actually dangerous, but for safety and long-life of all the components, involved. I don't personally recommend anything cheaper than a Corsair CX (not the older ones with green letters on the branding) for anything that requires supplementary power.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You likely have just enough wattage, but this is also a group-regulated PSU that is only "really" a 432W PSU in modern (post-Pentium III) terms, and of rather mediocre quality. It's probably not actually dangerous, but for safety and long-life of all the components, involved. I don't personally recommend anything cheaper than a Corsair CX (not the older ones with green letters on the branding) for anything that requires supplementary power.

Solution
Simplified PSU calculation for your hardware:
GPU=120W, CPU=65W, motherboard+RAM=50W, drives+fans=15W, ...
-is in total 250W (at max load).

Power wise, your PSU is in almost perfect balance with your system (about 60% load) -in my opinion.

Just wondering if a 450 watt gigabyte p450b would be enough for a single fan 4gb XFX rx 470 a Ryzen 5 3500 and 16 gigs of ddr4 ram on a B450 tomahawk max motherboard. No rgb on any of the components neither on the case
Forget the Gigabyte power supply, it's not very good. A 450 watt PSU would be enough for now, but a 550 would give you a little more headroom and possibly a few more upgrade options later on. The Corsair CX450 (2017 version) would be a good option for you, a CX550 even better.