Is a 450W with +12V@37A enough power?

robax91

Distinguished
I'm building my own form factor case for LAN gaming. I've seen some pre-builts like the FNW Tiki and AW x51, which have their strengths, but are just too expensive and don't allow for much customization. My Lan Box will only have:

CPU: Intel I5-3570k (already have from previous build)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 (already have from previous build) or ZALMAN CNPS8900 Quiet (if space gets too tight)
MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe or ASRock Z77E-ITX
RAM: 1866 DDR3 Vengeance 8GB(2x4) (already have from previous build) (can remove heatsinks if too tall)
SSD: Intel 335 240GB (already have from previous build) or an mSata SSD (if I get the ASRock ITX)
GPU: Asus 650ti-Boost 2GBDDR5 (if there is any extra wattage for a bigger card, suggest it) (might use a riser)
External Optical Drive: Only to be used when loading new games or watching movies (if they aren't digital). Shouldn't affect power load.
PSU: This is what the whole post is about. SILVERSTONE ST45SF-G 450W (How many watts are available on the 12v rail?)

Will this PSU be enough for the build? Will there be any head room for a more powerful GPU or OCing CPU if needed? Will 37A be enough (usually I stick with larger 12v rails on my PSUs)? Suggestions, comments, etc appreciated, looking for a PSU expert to help me out.

robax91

Distinguished
So there is room for overclocking or a more powerful card? If I were to keep my current 4.2Ghz @ 1.06v clock (frosty with H60 at 30c) and keep the system within the 75-85% of maximum PSU output, what single GPU could I upgrade to? I usually look up tons of reviews and benchmarks, but I'm no expert on electricity, which is why I ask. I'd rather ask than blow something up or burn a part.

robax91

Distinguished

So that chart says up to ~300w for a heavy load on the 650ti-b, that leaves only ~150 for the CPU and everything else. Then I'm good?

robax91

Distinguished
Wow, thanks a bunch. I now see that it says total system power consumption. I understand why they recommend high wattage PSUs though, because some manufacturers either fib about the wattage or give the total possible wattage (all rails included) so you are better off getting much more than you need in case it ends up being less than advertized. Thanks!

+1 you are absolutely correct!