Is a 4k monitor worth it?

Efblair

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
I bought a new computer earlier this year and was wondering if buying a 4k monitor is worth it.
I have the r9 290x and am currently using a 32" tv, in any case I plan to upgrade my monitor but I am wondering if should go for a 1440p monitor or 4k

Solution
I wouldn't recommend it. I personally am perfectly happy with 1080, but regardless of my opinion, A single 290X will not perform very well with newer demanding games on ultra settings at 4K. You could add a second GPU to make it work, but I'd sooner spend $200 on an 1080p 144Hz monitor, which will allow you to take advantage of the extra frames you'll get with the 290X.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/27/battlefield-4-performance-analysis/6

IndyAJD

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
I wouldn't recommend it. I personally am perfectly happy with 1080, but regardless of my opinion, A single 290X will not perform very well with newer demanding games on ultra settings at 4K. You could add a second GPU to make it work, but I'd sooner spend $200 on an 1080p 144Hz monitor, which will allow you to take advantage of the extra frames you'll get with the 290X.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/27/battlefield-4-performance-analysis/6

Solution
G

i wouldnt get it. not until software and especially hardware catches up a bit. 4k is still pretty much still in its infancy. i would go with a 1440p monitor, although im fine with my 1080p display currently.

stavros58

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I have an AOC 144hz monitor with 2 7870 in crossfire and I wouldn't trade in for a 4k monitor until the GPU's catch up without being a ridiculous price which is starting to happen for example the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4096MB, close to a Titan but way cheaper but give it another 12 months and things will look very different. Although I still probably wouldn't be interested in losing the 144hz option and going back to 60hz regardless of the eye candy even though they do look gorgeous. I also have a Dell UltraSharp U2413 24 inch 60hz for photo editing and although it looks good for gaming and has a setting that drops it to 6ms I much prefer the AOC 144hz 1ms for gaming its so much more responsive and eliminates tearing.

G

yes i agree with you on this. i've actually never used a 144hz monitor but i can say that i think screen tearing is one of the most grating visual anomalies with pc gaming. i mean you can totally play a game, even competitively, with screen tearing but it really hurts a game for me. plus i would rather have all the eye candy on in a game at a like 1440 or even 1080 than play a game at low settings at 4k. games at 4k resolution do look amazing but it does mess with how textures look in game. particle effects, nice shading/lighting, and more detailed environments and draw distances i think are just as important as having the game look sharp.

dooa

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I just went through this same scenario but came to different conclusions.
You can get a 60Hz 4K monitor now and it will look GREAT, add in a second 290x later as the price drops.
Depending on the game you play 4K may be MUCH better or slightly worse looking.

Or you can get stuck with the lower resolution and no upgrade path........

stavros58

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Hi yes that's a great option if you have £600 + to spend on two GPU's and another £500 + to spend on a 4K monitor, don't get me wrong I welcome that people can afford to do this as it pays for the R&D on new products. For example when the SSD came out they were both expensive and small capacity now is now getting to a more reasonable price and reasonable capacity so mainstream enthusiasts can afford to buy one and this has always been the case with most technical innovation when things become the standard.

Still the downside is that the 4K monitors whilst they are becoming cheaper are still 60hz and you still need a monster GPU setup to run them. Yet there are some excellent 144hz monitors available for a lot less money, monitors that you will still be able to sell on EBAY a year later for a decent price and you don't need £600+ worth of GPU to spend on them. You also have to bear in mind that the cost of 2 970's and a 4 K monitor is more than most people will spend on a full mid range gaming system so it's horses for courses and the smart money waits and those with plenty cash buy and fuel the market so the rest of us can afford what they buy as cutting edge. Another example is I have 2 7870 MSI cards in crossfire total cost brand new for both £220. They run at the equivalent of the new Nividia 970 GTX, when they came out 1 card cost about £250 now you can buy good second hand examples from Ebay for £70-£80.

It's all about waiting a bit whilst the specs improve and the prices drop, I for one will not move to a 4K monitor until the GPU standard matches the output and the monitors refresh at least at 120hz and cost a lot less. Why saddle your system with a disadvantage when you have spent all your hard earned cash on getting it to be as fast and responsive as possible don't you think Dude!!!!!

dooa

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
"Why saddle your system with a disadvantage when you have spent all your hard earned cash on getting it to be as fast and responsive as possible don't you think Dude!!!!! "
Err, maybe I do think, but someone here does not.
60 Hz is fine for gaming, very few rigs hold 60 Hz even at 1080P.
Buying a monitor and selling it then buying new is your plan? How about you get the 4K and use its full potential for all but games. Surfing the net, writing letters, all your mundane tasks are much clearer, then drop to 1080P for gaming until you can upgrade your card(s). The 60 Hz 4K monitor is not all that much more than a good 1440. Its not like you are stuck with 4K, unless you don't know how to set resolutions in games.
Other than initial price the 4K monitor has no disadvantages and when I bought my Asus 28" on sale at Fry's it was only $50 more than a comparable 1440 27"