Is a 500 watt power supply really needed for this card?

rocklee557

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hi,
I'm getting a new graphics card. I've narrowed down the choices to these two:

SAPPHIRE 100358OCL: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202023

SAPPHIRE 100358L: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202011

For the first card, which is a newer version of the second card it says that a 500 watt power supply is required. However, I only have a 430 Watt power supply, and I really don't want to get a new PSU. The second card only requires a 400 watt power supply.

The two cards are only a couple dollars apart, and I would really like the first card since the specs are better. So, is my 430 watt power supply good enough to run the first card or do I need to get the Second One?

Thanks,
rocklee557

P.S. Here are my specs in case you need them:
CPU: AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4 ATX FM2 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

Solution
It's possible your PSU will work with it fine, but I highly recommend against pushing the limits of a PSU. It has the potential to cost you your entire system, or at the very least shorten it's life span. I think it's worth it to save up a little extra cash and be sure your system will not take a turn for the worst. Plus you can always get a much nicer PSU so you don't have to replace it later down the line when you want to upgrade your CPU/GPU in the future.
It's possible your PSU will work with it fine, but I highly recommend against pushing the limits of a PSU. It has the potential to cost you your entire system, or at the very least shorten it's life span. I think it's worth it to save up a little extra cash and be sure your system will not take a turn for the worst. Plus you can always get a much nicer PSU so you don't have to replace it later down the line when you want to upgrade your CPU/GPU in the future.

Solution

rocklee557

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

After doing some research, I found that the first one is just an overclocked version of the second one, which explains why it needs more power. Considering that they're the same card, I'm not going to risk frying my computer to get 500 extra Mhz. Thanks for your help :)

rocklee557

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

After doing some research, I found that the first one is just an overclocked version of the second one. So I'm going to get the second one because it says it only needs a 400 watt PSU. Thanks for your help :)