[SOLVED] Is a 500W Cooler Master 80 Plus Bronze Worth Keeping?

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
I just bought a pre build. I know. Everyone hates pre builds. But I'm extremely limited on time these next few weeks and I need something for work with good 1080p video editing.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...b-hdd-256gb-ssd-black/6402513.p?skuId=6402513

It comes with a Coolmaster 80 Pro Plus.

Ignoring the fact that it is a pre build, would you upgrade the power supply?

You spend $850 on a computer. You only need 500w of power, and you get this Cool Master for free. Do you keep it or pay an extra $100 for another brand? I'm worried about longevity, mainly worried because I don't want to short my motherboard or other parts in an $800 computer. So just wanting good advice on if this power supply is good enough and worth keeping

Solution
This is fantastic. Very grateful for this community. I've already learned so much. I've asked questions on reddit and some other places, but this community helps me learn the most.

The holes in the power supply are also not proprietary, so things can be upgraded. And HP intended for it to be upgraded per what they say. You only have to press a button to release the side plate for upgrades. I know people don't like pre builds but this was very well done, and I'm so very grateful for that and that the power supply is good.

Thanks everyone!

I wonder if they used to use Cooler Master PSUs... had an extraordinary number of failures, so they switched to Lite-On. :D

Back in the day, HP OMEN used Topower. That was a mess. The QC...

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
The PSU is sufficient for that system. While not the best PSU in the world, there is no compelling reason to swap it right now.

Honestly I am a little ignorant with power supplies.

If this power supply just had a chance to fail, that is no big deal.

My concern is that a bad power supply can take other components with it. I just don't want my parts to all get ruined. Hundreds wasted because I didn't swap a part. I'm just pretty ignorant though and I don't know how realistic that is.

And if I don't plan to upgrade my video card, or anything outside the RAM or a sata ssd, my main concern is long-term failure.

I appreciate any and I'll feedback. It helps someone like me who knows how to do a lot of things in a desktop, but honestly I'm way more ignorant than a lot of you

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
I am pretty sure HP wouldn't have bundled it if not up to the task. Of course, you can replace. Just keep the original as a backup I suppose.

I think you are okay, as is, though.

Thanks for taking the time. I'm curious if others will agree.

What I noticed: Around $500 there are countless machines with great specs, 2 ram slots, i5 9400, you would think these would be great machines to build in. Almost all of them use cheap power supplies, non upgradeable, by no name brands. one HP had a non upgradeable 180w. And I just got through with a Dell with a 290w, only upgradeable to refurbished huntkey units. Point being I've learned not to trust them.

Maybe that only applies at lower price points. I mean, all the machines I mentioned were using no name suppliers. Coolmaster is supposed to be at least a bigger brand. Curious what others think.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Cooler Master PSU in HP prebuilt ?! Are you sure you're seeing it right ? Because Cooler Master don't manufacture PSUs themselves, there are no reason for HP to put Cooler Master PSU in their prebuilt unless that was BestBuy. In any case 'Coolmaster 80 Pro Plus Bronze' doesn't say anything, take a picture of it's label or smth.

Cooler Master PSU in HP prebuilt ?! Are you sure you're seeing it right ? Because Cooler Master don't manufacture PSUs themselves, there are no reason for HP to put Cooler Master PSU in their prebuilt unless that was BestBuy. In any case 'Coolmaster 80 Pro Plus Bronze' doesn't say anything, take a picture of it's label or smth.

https://landing.coolermaster.com/pages/hpomen/power/

I'm a bit shocked too.

Why would HP bother?

Also, 80MM sleeve bearing fan? Yikes!

Reactions: Juular

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
https://landing.coolermaster.com/pages/hpomen/power/

I'm a bit shocked too.

Why would HP bother?

Also, 80MM sleeve bearing fan? Yikes!

Break it down for me Johnny Guru. You review power supplies on the regular.

I don't want to waste money. Outside of the money I wasted not building my own (just didn't have time!)

But when you have a pre built pc I would hate for all my components to get destroyed or exposed to heavy wear. But if I can save $100 and it works great no need to replace it.

What do you think?

Break it down for me Johnny Guru. You review power supplies on the regular.

I don't want to waste money. Outside of the money I wasted not building my own (just didn't have time!)

But when you have a pre built pc I would hate for all my components to get destroyed or exposed to heavy wear. But if I can save $100 and it works great no need to replace it.

What do you think?

No comment.

No shot of the spec label. Don't know what's inside. All I know is it's a Bronze efficiency PSU with a sleeve bearing 80MM fan. Could be anything inside that metal box. Hamster on a generator for all I know.

Reactions: COLGeek

Furzumz

Reputable
I can't seem to find reviews for that exact model, there seems to be different 500w models from cooler master

But looking at a variety of their power supplies some of them look sketchy. Not all of them, but some of them. Decent amount of DOA (dead on arrival) complaints, some complaints about power supplies dying after less than a year of use.

Check out some of the reviews on Newegg for their different power supplies

If it were me in this position I'd go with a more reputable power supply.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thanks for taking the time. I'm curious if others will agree.

What I noticed: Around $500 there are countless machines with great specs, 2 ram slots, i5 9400, you would think these would be great machines to build in. Almost all of them use cheap power supplies, non upgradeable, by no name brands. one HP had a non upgradeable 180w. And I just got through with a Dell with a 290w, only upgradeable to refurbished huntkey units. Point being I've learned not to trust them.

Maybe that only applies at lower price points. I mean, all the machines I mentioned were using no name suppliers. Coolmaster is supposed to be at least a bigger brand. Curious what others think.
Those systems are not designed with upgrades in mind. Most OEM systems stay in their original config until tossed in the bin.

Like your system, the bundled hardware should work fine together. Change the GPU, and you could need a new PSU, for example.

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
Still waiting for the PC to come in, but if I did get a power supply, is this EVGA a good option?

https://www.newegg.com/evga-g3-seri...XVdjsLi6wumS1K3Tmt5iYdFnvFEkbM8RoC4dkQAvD_BwE

It's a 7 year warranty. To be honest I ordered it originally thinking about replacing. Quickly changed my mind within 5 minutes... But couldn't cancel. So I can return at no cost or hassle if there's a better option (including keeping my own for free).

I just want a great option, 500w or so, around $100

EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3, 220-G3-0550-Y1, 80+ GOLD, 550W Fully Modular

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018

Actually looks to be the same price after shipping!

I've never heard of the manufacturer. Their website is completely in chinese (had to switch to English through Google), the product page on their website doesn't mention warranty and there's no mention of the warranty on newegg. I'm pretty ignorant on power supply companies but I'm not sure I trust them. I'd love to hear your thoughts though. I feel like I've learned a ton in the last few days. I'd also love other opinions on my POTENTIAL option.

I'll drop a picture in here tomorrow of the power supply my pre built comes with to hopefully get some feedback

DSzymborski

Titan
Actually looks to be the same price after shipping!

I've never heard of the manufacturer. Their website is completely in chinese (had to switch to English through Google), the product page on their website doesn't mention warranty and there's no mention of the warranty on newegg. I'm pretty ignorant on power supply companies but I'm not sure I trust them. I'd love to hear your thoughts though. I feel like I've learned a ton in the last few days. I'd also love other opinions on my POTENTIAL option.

I'll drop a picture in here tomorrow of the power supply my pre built comes with to hopefully get some feedback

If you're paying attention to power supplies, you should have heard of them. Super Flower is one of the best manufacturers of PSUs along with SeaSonic, CWT's high-end etc. In fact, the EVGA G3 PSU you linked is made by Super Flower.

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
No comment.

No shot of the spec label. Don't know what's inside. All I know is it's a Bronze efficiency PSU with a sleeve bearing 80MM fan. Could be anything inside that metal box. Hamster on a generator for all I know.

Here it is:
Picture of label (in link below)

https://ibb.co/BBYRpyb

Anything known about the quality of this unit? Any concerns I should have? At least my first year?

D

Deleted member 14196

i thought Super Flower made descent PSUs but I am no expert. google search is finding good things about them. the more expensive models are the ones you want supposedly

Here it is:
Picture of label (in link below)

https://ibb.co/BBYRpyb

Anything known about the quality of this unit? Any concerns I should have? At least my first year?

Umm... That's not a Cooler Master PSU. That's a Lite-On. Says so in two places.

That makes more sense. HP frequently uses Lite-On. They're a tier 1 manufacturer.

You're fine.

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
Umm... That's not a Cooler Master PSU. That's a Lite-On. Says so in two places.

That makes more sense. HP frequently uses Lite-On. They're a tier 1 manufacturer.

You're fine.

Looks like HP representatives misrepresented it in the question section of Best Buy. Sounds like a good thing. Everything I read about Liteon was just that it was unknown. So glad to hear they are reliable