[SOLVED] Is a 550 watt PSU sufficient for a desktop build that includes a Ryzen 7 3700X CPU and an RTX 3070 GPU?

marcoangels

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
I have just ordered an Alienware Aurora desktop PC for an unbelievable price, but having checked reviews, I've found numerous complaints that the fans are too noisy and heat build up has caused shutdowns. I've noticed that if I use the Dell configurator and choose an RTX 2060 or higher, it automatically suggests a 1000 watt PSU and there's also a water-cooled option for the PSU, but I wasn't offered those options. Mine comes with a 550 watt PSU, a Ryzen 7 3700X CPU and an RTX 3070 GPU. I've built 9 desktops and always used a PSU significantly higher than what my components required, as well as plenty of fans and something inside me tells me that the above mentioned combo will probably not work properly and result in damaged hardware, since it's for my son, who is an avid gamer. The Dell salesman assured me that the 550 watt PSU was perfect for the system, but they were selling this system at a very low price, compared to their other systems. I'm also aware that Dell uses proprietary hardware/cables etc., so simply buying a larger PSU won't solve this situation, since only Dell PSU's will 'fit' in their systems. The only reason I bought this Alienware PC is because I couldn't find a 3070 GPU on it's own, unless I was willing to pay double the MSRP for it. Advice please?

Last edited:
Solution
so long as the psu is a quality one, it should be fine.

250w is about the most the 3070 will use. at that is heavily oc'ed and torture tested.

so 200 to maybe 225w for normal use + less than 100w for the cpu. i'd just not try to super oc the gpu and leave ti with normal boost settings turned on. a quality 550w psu will be plenty. from what i have seen the higher end alienware brand tends to get decent quality psu's vs the junk usually included in the normal dell systems.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

250w is about the most the 3070 will use. at that is heavily oc'ed and torture tested.

so 200 to maybe 225w for normal use + less than 100w for the cpu. i'd just not try to super oc the gpu and leave ti with normal boost settings turned on. a quality 550w psu will be plenty. from what i have seen the higher end alienware brand tends to get decent quality psu's vs the junk usually included in the normal dell systems.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Will it "work"? Yes, barely.

But that is really close to the edge, unless Alienware is siphoning some off-planet power, fueled by Unobtanium.

I've not seen any recommendation lower than 650w
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidias-rtx-3000-power-supply-requirements-PSU-shortage-2020

marcoangels

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011

I have no way of knowing the quality of the Alienware PSU. I would think that they wouldn't risk putting an under-powered PSU that could ruin the GPU or CPU, as they offer a standard 1 year warranty and using inferior parts would just end up costing them money.

marcoangels

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Will it "work"? Yes, barely.

But that is really close to the edge, unless Alienware is siphoning some off-planet power, fueled by Unobtanium.

I've not seen any recommendation lower than 650w
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidias-rtx-3000-power-supply-requirements-PSU-shortage-2020

Again, since Dell offers a free 1 year warranty on the components, I'm wondering why they would put a 550 watt PSU into my system, knowing that if the GPU, CPU or PSU failed, they would have to replace them? I'm willing to spend the extra cash for both a PSU upgrade and a water-cooled CPU AIO, but the Dell salesman wouldn't offer those upgrades. Should I try to cancel the order? It hasn't been built yet, apparently. Thanks for your help!

marcoangels

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Ok guys, after reading your replies and replies on other forums, I've come to the conclusion that, despite the low price, it's just not worth it to go with the Alienware and have to deal with thermal problems and noise and proprietary hardware/cables. Surprisingly, I cancelled myorder and expected a several day argument trying to get my money back, but I received it within 15 minutes! Now I know that Dell uses proprietary components, I'll be sure to steer clear of them, and go back to building my own system, once I can find an RTX 3070 on the market, for close to it's MSRP. Thanks for your input!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Alienware Aurora r10/r11 has 2 options for the 1000w psu.
0WTGN 1000W Delta 80+Gold.
0PDJK 1000W Huntkey Electric 80+Gold.

I'd have no issues with the first, Delta makes top line quality psus. I'd have big issues with the second, I can't think of any halfway decent Huntkey other than the ancient Jumper series.

Because of proprietary sizing, having only 2 size choices solves multiple issues. It's easier and cheaper to buy in bulk, so there's only 2 tooling not multiple tooling requirements, in house stock, ordering, contracts etc. There will be little price difference to Dell in ordering the 2 sizes, but that eliminates having to inventory several different sizes.

So some pc's get a 550w, some get the 1000w . Simple. They use both Delta and Huntkey because no 1 OEM could fulfill the full contract. Which actual OEM you get is random, since they are intrinsically the same unit as far as fitment in those wierd cases.