Is a 550W enough for a gaming build with a Power Edition 670?

Verizian

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014
Hello

I'm currently looking to build a PC for gaming. I'm shopping for parts locally (in Lebanon) and there's a decent enough selection which I'm trying to make the best of.

This is my build so far

PSU Antec VP-550P 550W PSU
CPU 3.4 GHz - i5-4440 ()
Mainboard ASUS H81M Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Ram Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C10D3B1/8G
HDD 1TB
CD-ROM LG 24x
GPU MSI 670 Power Edition

Would this 550W PSU be enough to power this build with no SLI/Overclocking (which my motherboard clearly prevents)? My options are limited locally and PSU's in particular are a pain to ship here so the higher wattage choices are the Thermaltake SP-650M or the Thermaltake Smart SE SPS-630M 630W PSU. I'm aware of the reputation Thermaltake has as a PSU manufacturer, so I'm hesitant about going with those.

I'm also considering the slightly weaker 670 Overclock edition. Would that require less power? I've already researched this and checked related threads here on TH and I've received mixed info. Online resources (pcpartpicker, extreme power supply calculator) put my required wattage at 380W but some people I've asked have mentioned that this build would strain my PSU. Any feedback would be appreciated, please feel free to ask for any details I may have neglected to mention.

Solution
That PSU would most definitely power a non-overclocked system with those components. Here's a review showing approximate power usage under load:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_670_power_edition_oc_review,8.html

You could actually go with a 400W if it is the right PSU. I personally wouldn't go less than 400W-450W due to future considerations. What if you want to upgrade to something requiring more at some point?

A Seasonic S12II 430W BRONZE would be sufficient for your build for sure. It's a high-quality supply built by a high-quality manufacturer; among the best in the business.
That PSU would most definitely power a non-overclocked system with those components. Here's a review showing approximate power usage under load:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_670_power_edition_oc_review,8.html

You could actually go with a 400W if it is the right PSU. I personally wouldn't go less than 400W-450W due to future considerations. What if you want to upgrade to something requiring more at some point?

A Seasonic S12II 430W BRONZE would be sufficient for your build for sure. It's a high-quality supply built by a high-quality manufacturer; among the best in the business.

Solution

Verizian

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback, it's good to know that I'm in the clear