Is a 600watt power supply good enough for sli 1080s and an i7 4790k? no overclock

Drago212

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
currently I have a 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+6]. I'm not sure if it's safe as of right now to put in my other 1080 because I do not want to fry anything. Any thoughts are really appreciated!

Solution

Sounds like you are a victim of ibuypower or cyberpower. What you posted is not the make and model of a PSU it's marketing jargon that usually means "this is one of the cheapest 600w PSUs we could find and overcharge you for". Quality wise you'd be lucky if the unit is mediocre quality.

To get the actual make and model of the PSU you need to open the case and look at the PSU.

That said even a good quality 600w unit would not be recommended to power 2 1080s. Depending on the rest of the system specs you are likely going to want a 750w or larger PSU.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1080-2-way-sli-review,4.html

bignastyid

Titan

Sounds like you are a victim of ibuypower or cyberpower. What you posted is not the make and model of a PSU it's marketing jargon that usually means "this is one of the cheapest 600w PSUs we could find and overcharge you for". Quality wise you'd be lucky if the unit is mediocre quality.

To get the actual make and model of the PSU you need to open the case and look at the PSU.

That said even a good quality 600w unit would not be recommended to power 2 1080s. Depending on the rest of the system specs you are likely going to want a 750w or larger PSU.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1080-2-way-sli-review,4.html

Solution

InvalidError

Titan

Depends on the PSU, though I wouldn't expect whatever Shenzhen special PSU may end up in pre-built systems to use DC-DC converters for secondary rails. Some PSU vendors do have such models all the way down to 300W.

Drago212

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

oh ok thanks!! could you reccomend a specific power supply thats 750 watts?

TRENDING THREADS