[SOLVED] Is a 650w psu good enough i have never made a pc before and i don't know what to use

Nov 5, 2020
I'm new to this and I don't know what psu i should get

my hardware is
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 2600X 6-Core
Storage: 1x SSD 1x HDD
motherboard: ASUS TUF B450
And the PSU is: Montech Beta 650W

Is my hardware more or less than 650W

Solution

my hardware is

You do not want that power supply. It's an offbrand unknown quantity. Stick with a brand model that offers more than a 3 year warranty and can actually deliver close to its rated capacity on the +12 volt. This will work:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Fd...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020121-na

my hardware is

You do not want that power supply. It's an offbrand unknown quantity. Stick with a brand model that offers more than a 3 year warranty and can actually deliver close to its rated capacity on the +12 volt. This will work:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Fd...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020121-na

Reactions: jonnyguru
Solution

JadeHarley

Reputable
May 11, 2018
I'm assuming we're talking about the CX series. As a budget model there's really no better quality available at that price point. It represents a baseline for me and I try not to go under it.
Well yeah, but their price is kinda weird sometimes (or it's only in Russia), for us it's super expensive and it's better to look at the only japanese/high quality, or to the CM MWE or Xilence Performance, really boring market in 2020

my hardware is

650w is more than enough tbh.

Although I would go with a different power supply as that Montech is an offbrand PSU and if there is any part you DO NOT want to go cheap on, is the PSU. Could lead to killing the entire PC.

Sure, Ive ran bad PSU's for years with NO ISSUES. However, the majority, get issues. So always choose a good brand and make 80+ Bronze Certification the MINIMUM for ANY system you build. Your build is not power hungry, a 80+ Bronze cx550m by Corsair would do JUST FINE. Im running a 3700x (8 core 16 threads) and a 2060 super, both overclocked, on the cx550m. NO ISSUES.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-series-cx550m-550w/p/N82E16817139147

Well yeah, but their price is kinda weird sometimes (or it's only in Russia), for us it's super expensive

You can't compare Russia to rest of the world.

That's why we always ask where someone is located when they ask for PSU recommendations. Because some countries have bigger distributors than others and can bring in more product. Some countries have local brands that are more competitively priced.

Just because the price of a CX is "weird" is Russia doesn't mean it's "weird" in the US, UK, etc.

I mean.. the price of a Aurus Senat is "weird" in the U.S. I just as well buy a Cadillac.

JadeHarley

Reputable
May 11, 2018
You can't compare Russia to rest of the world.

That's why we always ask where someone is located when they ask for PSU recommendations. Because some countries have bigger distributors than others and can bring in more product. Some countries have local brands that are more competitively priced.

Just because the price of a CX is "weird" is Russia doesn't mean it's "weird" in the US, UK, etc.

I mean.. the price of a Aurus Senat is "weird" in the U.S. I just as well buy a Cadillac.
I mean there is no difference maybe, Corsair is expensive and it's fact? I don't know how it is for you, I just said that we consider them as a high tier expensive PSU's (CX and higher)

JadeHarley

Reputable
May 11, 2018
Higher quality does equate to higher cost. Yes.
Yeah but for EU price is really sweet, when we can afford only CX or barely TX series, and also all stores in Russia don't have so many models, so we have only CoolerMaster MWE, Deepcool DQ, Seasonic Core, Corsair CX, TX and FractalDesign, and a looooooooooot of trashy PSU's that people buy cause it's super cheap and never listen ......... AeroCool VX is like ... everywhere, and not 1, it's 1000 of them in 1 store for some reason (ofc they paid for it)

Yeah but for EU price is really sweet, when we can afford only CX or barely TX series, and also all stores in Russia don't have so many models, so we have only CoolerMaster MWE, Deepcool DQ, Seasonic Core, Corsair CX, TX and FractalDesign, and a looooooooooot of trashy PSU's that people buy cause it's super cheap and never listen ......... AeroCool VX is like ... everywhere, and not 1, it's 1000 of them in 1 store for some reason (ofc they paid for it)

Well.. the problem with Russia is they have this "EAC" requirement. It's not even a legit certification. It's basically bribing the government to allow you to sell your product in their country.

That's why there are "Russian brands".

JadeHarley

Reputable
May 11, 2018
Well.. the problem with Russia is they have this "EAC" requirement. It's not even a legit certification. It's basically bribing the government to allow you to sell your product in their country.

That's why there are "Russian brands".
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa, thanks for info, anyway, got Fractal Design ion+ for 144$ and glad, amazing psu

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Chieftec has strong positions on Russian market too, their Core BBS and Polaris often end-up being my recommendations. FD ION+ is often very competitively priced too, i just don't trust it much (for it's price) because it's Sirfa and their QC seems to be on somewhat lower level than CWT, but maybe it's just a prejudice, i don't have any numbers.

Anyway, OP, where you are from ?

JadeHarley

Reputable
May 11, 2018
Chieftec has strong positions on Russian market too, their Core BBS and Polaris often end-up being my recommendations. FD ION+ is often very competitively priced too, i just don't trust it much (for it's price) because it's Sirfa and their QC seems to be on somewhat lower level than CWT, but maybe it's just a prejudice, i don't have any numbers.

Anyway, OP, where you are from ?
CORE BBS is sooooooo bad, I am afraid of russki's computers actually