Is a +700MHz memory overclock wrong?

OCMAD

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
Hi all,
I was overclocking my GPU the other day (EVGA GTX 750Ti SC). First I found the highest stable core overclock which was +80MHz. I then reset the core clock to default and tried to find the highest stable memory overclock however I could never find a limit to which the benchmark would just crash. I stopped at +700MHz because I could sense things were getting crazy.

Could anyone tell me what was happening? I was actually getting higher scores on the Unigen Heaven benchmark even between +600-700MHz overclock so I don't think the memory clock was capped automatically early on. My card still works perfectly and I didn't increase the core voltage.

Thanks in advance

Solution
It's not "wrong" if your system isn't crashing or creating artifacts.

Your memory and GPU are completely different chips with different overclocking potential. Plus I think the memory is split into four so technically a 600MHz overclock of the memory is 150Mhz on each chip.

So go ahead and experiment. It's not a big deal until as I said you crash or have artifacts.

The highest memory overclock is probably about 1675MHz but there may be different memory chips in different cards. I recommend 50MHz below the point at which you have any issues.

(Probably a multiple of 4X in your software so I mean 200MHz below the point of issues if it's over 6000MHz)
It's not "wrong" if your system isn't crashing or creating artifacts.

Your memory and GPU are completely different chips with different overclocking potential. Plus I think the memory is split into four so technically a 600MHz overclock of the memory is 150Mhz on each chip.

So go ahead and experiment. It's not a big deal until as I said you crash or have artifacts.

The highest memory overclock is probably about 1675MHz but there may be different memory chips in different cards. I recommend 50MHz below the point at which you have any issues.

(Probably a multiple of 4X in your software so I mean 200MHz below the point of issues if it's over 6000MHz)

Solution