Question Is a 750w 80+Gold (brand pending) good enough for OC a XFX R9 390 and an FX 9590 on the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 mb?

May 30, 2019
Hello, I have an XFX R9 390 and an FX 9590 on the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 MB with a single 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz Ram and am wondering if a 750w Gold+ PSU strong enough for a 5+GHz OC on the CPU? If not, what would you recommend? (money is an object so keep that in mind). I'm currently using an 850w 80+Bronze PSU and I think its dying. the computer randomly turns off shortly after getting to the desktop even when reverted to default clocks. Is there something about the power delivery from the PSU that I ignored? The CPU refuses to be stable regardless of voltage at anything past 4.96GHz and CPU heat never passed 74 degrees Celsius (i have a custom cooler I made myself). Any advance would be great. Thank you. (ALSO, I know dual sticks of ram is better, I'm just borrowing a single stick from my other rig.)

Is your custom cooler capable of dissipating 200-250 watts of heat quite quickly?

Is your mainboard's VRM known to be capable of handling the 200-250 watt power draw of an FX9590? (ANd is the VRM cooled, as using a CPU water cooler then deprives the VRM circuitry of any secondary airflow that would normally be provided by a downdraft CPU cooler....)

Reactions: boju