[SOLVED] Is a 8 Dollar 250GB WD HDD worth it ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
if it is new stock and enough to do what you need then it would be fine. those are VERY old drives and a used one is probably already well past it's lifespan.

who knows you might get years out of it, or you might get days out of it. if it is new unopened, i could see doing it. otherwise i'd stay away.
Already have an ssd, i need a big storage unit only to storage games and projects on it
250GB storage is nothing that can considered big nowadays. Especially if it is 15 yr old HDD model. Get some at least 1 TB HDD for such archives. This drive for example. Configure windows power management to turn HDD off after 15 minutes. Then drive will stay dormant as well until it will be really required. Used 1 TB HDD in such mode for a decade. That drive still works as archive media.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
One of the issues with HDD are that they are so susceptible to shock. Super easy to destroy one in the shipping process.
I would consider that, if possible, even if you are going to look at stuff this inexpensive because you have to, that they have some manner of "warranty/return" available.

Probably a good idea in a case like this to ask around of friends, family, work and see if anyone has an old outdated machine around you can salvage a drive from.

HDDs from mid-2000ies upwards are not so fragile except they wasn't directly dropped on floor without any casing around. Obviously smaller and lighter HDDs will survive better, but in general there is nothing to worry about during shipping if HDD was properly packaged (like 1-2cm of soft packaging material or air cushions around). I believe that OP simply got faulty drive.

Agree about idea to free a relative or friend from old HDDs. Less expenses for OP and less e-waste generated.

Adam65

Great
Nov 29, 2020
The hdd is from 2008 and the shipping was strong, i believe it was just dead from the beginning, they agreed to change the item with something more expensive than this

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
Is it worth buying a VERY cheap Hard drive that the price will make you skeptical? I would first read the description, I would also ask the seller a question on how they used it. If I want to buy it, I'd buy 2 or even 3 Hard Drives just incase. You never know!!!
BUT, backing up your data is very important. Your storage device might die tomorrow, or maybe at February 2021, or maybe 2022, or it could last years, like maybe to 2025 or if you are very lucky, to 2030. But still MAKE BACKUPS!!!

TRENDING THREADS