is a 850 EVO faster in rapid mode than a 970 EVO nvme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyBuzzy

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Hello

I'm going to install my 970 evo 500GB nvme today and i read that this can't use Samsungs rapid mode.
My current disk is a 850 EVO 250GB in rapid mode, i benchmarked it today and got this result:
Ht1im3o.png

I looked up benchmarks for 970 evo and they are much lower.. Will my new disk be slower because it can't use rapid mode?

Solution
Rapid mode just enables RAM caching, that is why it's so fast in the benchmark when the 850 EVO is not as fast as Magician says. According to that your 850 EVO is even faster than some of the fastest NVMe SSDs on the market, which isn't true. I get similar results from my 840 Pro in Samsung Magician. The 970 EVO is still the faster drive, but if you use Rapid mode note you are allowing it to RAM cache to boost performance. Online benchmarks would likely be using a more accurate and reliable storage benchmarks like Crystaldiskmark, i recommend using this for real comparisons. Hope this helps! :)

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
Rapid mode just enables RAM caching, that is why it's so fast in the benchmark when the 850 EVO is not as fast as Magician says. According to that your 850 EVO is even faster than some of the fastest NVMe SSDs on the market, which isn't true. I get similar results from my 840 Pro in Samsung Magician. The 970 EVO is still the faster drive, but if you use Rapid mode note you are allowing it to RAM cache to boost performance. Online benchmarks would likely be using a more accurate and reliable storage benchmarks like Crystaldiskmark, i recommend using this for real comparisons. Hope this helps! :)

Solution
May 20, 2020
i just returned a 970 EVO Plus 1TB today. Samsung flat out admitted that Samsung Magician is rating my 860 EVO as better than the 970 EVO plus because of Rapid Mode being on for it.

Bottom line, if you have an 860 EVO with Rapid Mode don't waste your money on NVME. I think it is unbelievable that with a software setting I can blow away the latest greatest NVEM M.2 and Samsung support things that is just fine and just says "Sorry for the confusion" I wasn't confused I expected better. Not 7 times better like the articles say but definitely better. Not WORSE.

I don't care that its software, I don't care that its RAM Cache. If the "seat of the pants" feel of my PC was actually SLOWER with the NVME why would I waste my time and money?

Boot times was 1 second slower with NVME. Quake Champions load times and other game times felt the same.

Again.. Why Bother?

USAFRet

Titan
i just returned a 970 EVO Plus 1TB today. Samsung flat out admitted that Samsung Magician is rating my 860 EVO as better than the 970 EVO plus because of Rapid Mode being on for it.

Bottom line, if you have an 860 EVO with Rapid Mode don't waste your money on NVME. I think it is unbelievable that with a software setting I can blow away the latest greatest NVEM M.2 and Samsung support things that is just fine and just says "Sorry for the confusion" I wasn't confused I expected better. Not 7 times better like the articles say but definitely better. Not WORSE.

I don't care that its software, I don't care that its RAM Cache. If the "seat of the pants" feel of my PC was actually SLOWER with the NVME why would I waste my time and money?

Boot times was 1 second slower with NVME. Quake Champions load times and other game times felt the same.

Again.. Why Bother?
Different strokes for different folks.

I tried RAPID, and while the benchmarks were great, I saw no user facing difference On or Off. 850 or 860 EVO.
So I turned it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.