Question Is a amd ryzen 9 3900x compatible with the GIGABYTE X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI?

nick.metzgerx

Prominent
Aug 3, 2018
I tried checking pcpartpicker.com but it was saying if I got it I would need to update the BIOS and id need an older processor to do it but it's been wrong for me on stuff like that before. Would these two be okay together?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pcpartpicker.com tries to stay current, but with vendors that's impossible. Pcp can't guarantee you'll receive brand new stock that's already bios updated for 3 series, the vendor could send you the exact required purchase that's older stock and not current bios. So Pcp will slap a warning on every single cpu/mobo combo that's different generations. You'd have to get a x570 not to see the warning. Gonna be quite a while before that disappears.

According to Gigabyte, those boards are 3 series ready. But again, that only applies to current sales of stock, not to older stock manufactured before the current or 3 series compatible bios.

So it's going to be a gamble, you may or may not get a 3 series bios, and if you did, I'd still update to current anyways. AMD's recommendation is 1. to take it to a shop, pay a fee and get bios updated, 2. call the vendor and have them update/replace the mobo with a 3rd series bios, or 3. Call AMD (show proof of purchase and documentation of refusal of vendor to update/replace) and they'll ship you a low level cpu allowing you to update the bios, which you'll then ship back. Pretty much in that order.

Reactions: nick.metzgerx

nick.metzgerx

Prominent
Aug 3, 2018
Pcpartpicker.com tries to stay current, but with vendors that's impossible. Pcp can't guarantee you'll receive brand new stock that's already bios updated for 3 series, the vendor could send you the exact required purchase that's older stock and not current bios. So Pcp will slap a warning on every single cpu/mobo combo that's different generations. You'd have to get a x570 not to see the warning. Gonna be quite a while before that disappears.

According to Gigabyte, those boards are 3 series ready. But again, that only applies to current sales of stock, not to older stock manufactured before the current or 3 series compatible bios.

So it's going to be a gamble, you may or may not get a 3 series bios, and if you did, I'd still update to current anyways. AMD's recommendation is 1. to take it to a shop, pay a fee and get bios updated, 2. call the vendor and have them update/replace the mobo with a 3rd series bios, or 3. Call AMD (show proof of purchase and documentation of refusal of vendor to update/replace) and they'll ship you a low level cpu allowing you to update the bios, which you'll then ship back. Pretty much in that order.
I found a different mobo that I'm gonna go with