[SOLVED] Is a bent pci-e slot safe to use?

omgururani2004

Reputable
Nov 2, 2017
I asked this before, just want more opinions.

View: https://imgur.com/a/2YCfmDb

So the prebuild makers sent my pc with the gpu attached, and i sent it back because my gpu was artifacting and i was having crashes while cpu was under load.

They say the pci-e slot is bent. How bad is it? They said they might not be able to replace it and told me its fine and it shouldn't cause any issues, is that true? Can I keep using this?

Will try my best to pressure them into replacing, but if they don't, should i pay for one out of my own pocket and buy a new motherboard? Or is this fine to use? As far as I know the slot still works. Thanks

Solution
Thank you for the advice. What I want to know is, is there a chance using that bent slot could fry my gpu or something? If that is possible I will likely just purchase a new one because I don't want to deal with problems anymore...
I think most likely...if you install a GPU in the slot and it works for a period of time....it will probably be fine forever.

I say "most likely" because I still think there is a chance it may could cause problems down the road.

If it were me....using that slot would depend on how much money I had invested in the GPU.

omgururani2004

Reputable
Nov 2, 2017
This is elitehubs. I'm in India. Thanks. I'll push them for a replacement. If they decide to be scums and don't replace, do you think I should pay for one out of my own pocket? I am just trying to prepare for all scenarios, this is my first build so i don't want it to be damaged again.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is elitehubs. I'm in India. Thanks. I'll push them for a replacement. If they decide to be scums and don't replace, do you think I should pay for one out of my own pocket? I am just trying to prepare for all scenarios, this is my first build so i don't want it to be damaged again.
That is up to you. Try it to see if it works properly. If not, replace it.

I would replace, if my system. I do realize this is an expense that not all would be comfortable with. Good luck.

omgururani2004

Reputable
Nov 2, 2017
Thank you for the advice. What I want to know is, is there a chance using that bent slot could fry my gpu or something? If that is possible I will likely just purchase a new one because I don't want to deal with problems anymore...

I think most likely...if you install a GPU in the slot and it works for a period of time....it will probably be fine forever.

I say "most likely" because I still think there is a chance it may could cause problems down the road.

If it were me....using that slot would depend on how much money I had invested in the GPU.

Reactions: COLGeek
Solution

omgururani2004

Reputable
Nov 2, 2017

I have paid scalper prices for my 3070, around $1300, It was an impulse buy, wouldn't buy it again if i were given the chance.

I think I'll buy a new motherboard if they don't replace it in that case.