is a coolmax 500watt psu good for my gaming pc?

DemiGodOdin

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
Hello so about a month and a half ago i purchased a silver 500w. Non modular psu from coolmax and plugged it into my gaming pc and it works great for the 30 dollars i spent on it. But ive been doing research on psus dieing and the harm a bad psu can do to your system and being that its my first build id be crushed if my components suffered for a bad psu. So im wondering if anyone knows if coolmax is an ok brand for a psu. Otherwise im more than willing to spend 50 bucks or so on a different more reliable 500watt psu.
My PC specs are:
Cpu i5 4670k
ram crucial ballistix 8gb 1600 mhz
Gpu msi radeon r9 270 2gb gaming oc edition
Storage wd 1tb caviar black hdd and a 120 gb samsung ssd
Case nzxt phantom 410 with two 120mm fans and one 140mm blue led fan
Mobo is msi pc mate z87 board, it was free with my cpu.
Nothing is over clocked or anything on my pc either.
Thank you for any help anyone can give me. Like i said nothing is wrong with my psu i just want to make sure its not going to hurt my other components.

Solution
No one can guarantee any PSU is not going to hurt components if it fails, even expensive/well built ones. Your machine is probably using some where near 250 or 275 watts on the DC side of the supply, which even if it's an over rated as advertised 400 watt PSU with a 500 watt label (which is likely considering CoolMax, probably it can supply somewhere near 400 watts on it's 12v lines) then you are well under it's rated capacity.

I would just consider it one of the first things to be replaced when you upgrade your machine. If you end up throwing a really powerful video card in there just make sure you swap out the supply as well.

Traciatim

Distinguished
No one can guarantee any PSU is not going to hurt components if it fails, even expensive/well built ones. Your machine is probably using some where near 250 or 275 watts on the DC side of the supply, which even if it's an over rated as advertised 400 watt PSU with a 500 watt label (which is likely considering CoolMax, probably it can supply somewhere near 400 watts on it's 12v lines) then you are well under it's rated capacity.

I would just consider it one of the first things to be replaced when you upgrade your machine. If you end up throwing a really powerful video card in there just make sure you swap out the supply as well.

Solution