Question Is a Corsair 850x 80 plus gold certified power supply enough for an rtx 3080ti and a 12900k?

Nov 10, 2021
I’m upgrading my 2080 to a 3080ti and I didn’t even think to upgrade my psu because I though 850 watts would be good enough for a couple generations. Some people told me I’d want to get a 1000watt psu because the 30 series gets weird power spikes. Do you think I should my psu or will it be fine?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Jonnyguru told me directly that it is fine for a 3080Ti.

I'm even running the older 2016 version and haven't had issues. I am using cablemod cables with 3 direct 8-pin to the GPU rather than the daisy chaining of the stock cables. Though they are a thicker gauge, so are also fine.

As for simultaneously running a 12900k at full blast, not sure. My 10900F can draw about 160W under a benchmark, and I have the GPU at stock, so it grabs 350-360W. But a 12900k can pull more like 260W.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No it is still up in the air.

If you add another 100W, those GPU spikes might get it near the OCP trigger point.

I've been playing it safe. I have the CPU and GPU watercooled with 7 140mm fans and two 280mm radiators to keep them cool. So I have a lot of supplemental power draw there. CPU is locked. While I could add, 13% more power to the GPU (with the non OC BIOS, not sure how high the OC one goes), I have not done so.

Gets warm enough as it is.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nov 10, 2021
It may, or it may not be enough, because what I gathered from this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

... models of the same tier will have higher or lower transient spikes than others.
Which ones handle it better/worse? Completely unknown.

Probably a safer bet to go with a good quality 1000w.
I just decided to get an evga 1300 GT. I’d rather be safe than sorry and not have to deal with that hassle later down the line. NVIDIA needs to seriously correct the power draws from their new cards

Nov 10, 2021
No it is still up in the air.

If you add another 100W, those GPU spikes might get it near the OCP trigger point.

I've been playing it safe. I have the CPU and GPU watercooled with 7 140mm fans and two 280mm radiators to keep them cool. So I have a lot of supplemental power draw there. CPU is locked. While I could add, 13% more power to the GPU (with the non OC BIOS, not sure how high the OC one goes), I have not done so.

Gets warm enough as it is.
Yea, I had planned to overclock and watercool in the future so I’m just going to upgrade it and not take the risk.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
NVIDIA needs to seriously correct the power draws from their new cards
I honestly believe consumers created that problem. Looking back at the current topics of gpu power consumption, and some older ones involving SLI/CF, dual gpu(R9 295x2 for example), and certain halo models... a handful of folks may bring it up, but most just didn't care or didn't care as long as they got their top tier performance.
Some even laughed at the energy-conscious folks.
Others will get these products to have others feed their egos - whether feedback is positive or negative - ignoring them is the most harmful action you can take.

Enough people buy 'em, so the companies are going to see this as an ok and continue to churn out products like that - not every time, mind you, but it'll continue to be a thing.

Nov 10, 2021
I honestly believe consumers created that problem. Looking back at the current topics of gpu power consumption, and some older ones involving SLI/CF, dual gpu(R9 295x2 for example), and certain halo models... a handful of folks may bring it up, but most just didn't care or didn't care as long as they got their top tier performance.
Some even laughed at the energy-conscious folks.
Others will get these products to have others feed their egos - whether feedback is positive or negative - ignoring them is the most harmful action you can take.

Enough people buy 'em, so the companies are going to see this as an ok and continue to churn out products like that - not every time, mind you, but it'll continue to be a thing.
I didn’t even realize the power draw was that bad and those random power spikes are unacceptable. I heard the 40 series will be even worse, although those are leaks. Anyway I appreciate you two’s replies and information on the topic