[SOLVED] Is a Dell Inspiron with a 10th gen i7 & GTX 1660 Super a good buy?

jamesageiger

Commendable
May 31, 2020
Is a Dell Inspiron with a 10th Gen Intel i7 & GTX 1660 Super a good buy? It costs $832.99. The 1650 Super is significantly cheaper ($719.99) so is that the better deal? How much worse is the 1650 vs 1660 super?

I am a bit worried buying a 3 year old CPU, but the price seems good and 10th gen is not THAT old.

I do web development, web browsing, video streaming, and very light gaming (Starcraft 2 type games).

Link is here:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/s...desktop/spd/inspiron-3891-desktop/nd3891fbtbs

Last edited:
Would you ever have any intention in the future of upgrading the parts within it?

If possibly yes, would you do that yourself or would you take it to a repair shop of some type.

Or would you likely regard it as an appliance....if it fails, you get a new one?

jamesageiger

Commendable
May 31, 2020
Would you ever have any intention in the future of upgrading the parts within it?

If possibly yes, would you do that yourself or would you take it to a repair shop of some type.

Or would you likely regard it as an appliance....if it fails, you get a new one?

To be honest I might add another stick of RAM but that is about it. I could do that myself.

I have not done a price check as to how that particular Dell compares to quite similar machines from its competitors like Lenovo, HP, or Asus. I'd guess it is reasonably competitive and a reasonably good buy. Dell is most likely trying to clear inventory of 10th generation stuff, thus the markdown.....which I assume is legit.

But buying a pre-built usually has issues surrounding upgradability due to the possibility of non-standard parts. Principally power supply and motherboard rather than CPU or drives. Understandably, they want you to buy a new machine rather than repair an existing one.

If you have no intention of ever upgrading, that's no problem.

If you won't build it yourself, that's no problem.

If you don't have access to anyone who would build you a machine using parts you specify, that's no problem.

You may be locked into a pre-built from manufacturer A, B, or C. Lots of people are. As far as I've heard, Dell is as tolerable as the next outfit and likely better than the likes of Cyberpower. Just hope you don't have to deal with customer service....from Dell or anyone else you may choose.

jamesageiger

Commendable
May 31, 2020
I have not done a price check as to how that particular Dell compares to quite similar machines from its competitors like Lenovo, HP, or Asus. I'd guess it is reasonably competitive and a reasonably good buy. Dell is most likely trying to clear inventory of 10th generation stuff, thus the markdown.....which I assume is legit.

But buying a pre-built usually has issues surrounding upgradability due to the possibility of non-standard parts. Principally power supply and motherboard rather than CPU or drives. Understandably, they want you to buy a new machine rather than repair an existing one.

If you have no intention of ever upgrading, that's no problem.

If you won't build it yourself, that's no problem.

If you don't have access to anyone who would build you a machine using parts you specify, that's no problem.

You may be locked into a pre-built from manufacturer A, B, or C. Lots of people are. As far as I've heard, Dell is as tolerable as the next outfit and likely better than the likes of Cyberpower. Just hope you don't have to deal with customer service....from Dell or anyone else you may choose.

Thanks for the insight. Is the 1660 a ton better than the 1650 super? And is 10th gen still new enough where it won't be laughably slow in a year or two?

And is 10th gen still new enough where it won't be laughably slow in a year or two?

That 10700 was a very stout machine 2 years ago.

Still is way above average.

I don't see anything in your list of tasks that would indicate you'd be disappointed over the next several years.

You could get a very similar machine of 12th generation parts for maybe 200 (guessing) more if worried about obsolescence.