Is a Dell Optiplex 790 i5 worth upgrading?

Mar 7, 2018
I have a Dell 790 and was wondering if it would be worth putting extra stuff into it. Also would a GeForce 1050 FTW 2gb fit in it? Thinking of making it a mid range gaming pc.

There are 4 different form factors. The mt fits full sized gpus. The dt and sff need low profile. The usff can't fit any gpu.
prod_shot_OPT790_Bkeith_01.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Plug in anything Sata, which will be the ssd/hdd. Once that's done, there's honestly no reason to remove them, so a gpu covering the Sata ports is a moot point. At worst case scenario you use 90°sata connectors if the mobo has top load headers, or plain straight connectors if the mobo has sideways Sata headers. Either way, it's only a pita concern if you plan on changing Sata with any frequency, which never happens with most ppl.

Mar 7, 2018
I plan on running 2 hdd and 16gb or ram, nothing else, only need to CD drive to install Windows then that's about it honestly. I guess I could remove the hard drive mount if I was worried about clearance and remount the hard drives somewhere else.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
True. Hdds can be made to mount just about anywhere. Because I mounted my 280mm AIO in front, using pull fans (case says it's not made for that, only push, hah!) I moved my hdd and now it sits in the bottom optical drive tray. (there's 2). I've seen SSDs velcro'd to the top of psus, hdds mounted sideways on the outside of hdd cages, I even have an aio mounted under the plastic top cover above the frame in one of my cases. Case mods are all about figuring out where to put something the case designers never intended.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from mhmanbearpig : "Will it fit / work in a Dell Optiplex 790 MT?"

why wouldnt it work? you will have a sufficient psu, if you have an open pcie slot and I know you do. if the graphics card fits you will be gaming in no time. have you already purchased this pc? as far as the gpu install all you have to do is put in the slot and drop the disc in the drive and install. use geforce experience to update to the newest driver and you are done. if that doesnt work you will be starting a new thread but hopefully that doesnt happen.