[SOLVED] Is a GTX 770 better than a GTX 1660 (..for video editing)?

Aug 17, 2020
So I of course know that the 1660 is a far more recent card and so, in general is better than the 770 I currently have.

However I mainly use this PC for video editing. Given that the 770 actually has more CUDA cores than the standard 1660, would this be a downgrade when using Premiere Pro? Or would other improved specs (higher RAM etc.) more than compensate and still be a marked improvement?

(I'll be using PPro CS6, and not CC, if that matters).

Meanwhile, the 1660 Ti does have the same number of cores as the 770 but of course bumps up the price even higher. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
Personally, I would wait for the RTX 3000 series to actually release, because prices on used GTX 1660/Super/TI or RTX 2060/Super may drop way more than they are now. Many of those cards will still have their 2-3 year warranties.

In a year or less we might see another mid range release that is as fast as the 2070/Super for $250-350. Plus there is still AMDs new cards coming later this years (possibly next month).

arknex

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
If you're really concerned about the weather it's worth the look into upgrade from the 770 I feel it's in your best interest to go ahead go to a GTX 1660 Super or Ti if the number of CUDA cores really concerns you.

You will see a significant boot in performance using even the GTX 1660 however, spending $10 more on the Super rather than the standard 1660 is a bargin for what your looking for.

I know very little about this web site, it isn't Tom's, but it does give a person an idea about the differences in the two cards. The Super is a little better and really close to the Ti in performance.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-770-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1660/2174vs4038
Let me add this: if you are using a monitor with 1080 resolution the 1660 series is o.k.: If in the near future you are thinking of 1440 or 4K then you will need something in the 2xxx series or the new 3xxx series.

Reactions: leogames
Aug 17, 2020
I would imagine the 1660 would still be better since it has far better performance despite the lower cuda core count.

Thanks both for the responses. Although I did consider a 1660 Ti, the price difference was considerably more than $10 as suggested, and brought me closer to a 2060.

Therefore and to be sure about this, I'm thinking of spending just a little bit more on top and will go for a 2060. It has more cores than either earlier cards, and of course faster performance overall.

Excellent choice. My grandson has that card and it is a good performer.
Thanks both for the responses. Although I did consider a 1660 Ti, the price difference was considerably more than $10 as suggested, and brought me closer to a 2060.

Therefore and to be sure about this, I'm thinking of spending just a little bit more on top and will go for a 2060. It has more cores than either earlier cards, and of course faster performance overall.

Personally, I would wait for the RTX 3000 series to actually release, because prices on used GTX 1660/Super/TI or RTX 2060/Super may drop way more than they are now. Many of those cards will still have their 2-3 year warranties.

In a year or less we might see another mid range release that is as fast as the 2070/Super for $250-350. Plus there is still AMDs new cards coming later this years (possibly next month).

Solution