[SOLVED] Is a GTX Titan X worth it in 2020?

tybarreto34

Commendable
Oct 25, 2018
I have been offered a used EVGA GTX Titan X for $250. It's from a friend no mining and no overclocking, and I was wondering if you guys feel like this is a good deal?

I have been looking at a gpu for a secondary computer for a little bit now. My plan was to buy a new 3000 series gpu when they launch for my main gaming computer and move my current 1080ti to my secondary computer. It would be paired with a ryzen 3700x and the computer is mainly used for light edits and some 3D printing. My heart says jump on it but I am not sure if the card is at a good price or just overkill for a secondary PC. Looking for some extra opinions.

Solution
Do you think if he came down to $200 it would be a better deal then or pass on it since Maxwell is dated?
200$ is okay i suppose. Since it's on par with the gtx 1070 and you can find a gtx 1070 with that price but you have to do research on the seller. Since he's your friend, you can trust him. Another thing is that titan x consumes more power. But if you're not gaming on it, i dont think it would matter much. You're just using it for light edits after all. I have a gtx 980 ti and it still runs well today. The only downside is temps and power draw.

poorbugger

Distinguished
The titan x performs a bit worse than the 1080 ti. I think the titan x is more suitable for workload than gaming. Honestly if i were you, i would skip the 3000 series first unless you're playing at 4k. The 1080 ti still got some kick to it. So keep the titan x in the secondary pc for light edits and 3d printing. Maybe push for 200 dollars? But 250$ is quite a good deal. Is it maxwell titan x or pascal titan x?

tybarreto34

Commendable
Oct 25, 2018
The titan x performs a bit worse than the 1080 ti. I think the titan x is more suitable for workload than gaming. Honestly if i were you, i would skip the 3000 series first unless you're playing at 4k. The 1080 ti still got some kick to it. So keep the titan x in the secondary pc for light edits and 3d printing. Maybe push for 200 dollars? But 250$ is quite a good deal. Is it maxwell titan x or pascal titan x?
I believe its maxwell

poorbugger

Distinguished
Do you think if he came down to $200 it would be a better deal then or pass on it since Maxwell is dated?
200$ is okay i suppose. Since it's on par with the gtx 1070 and you can find a gtx 1070 with that price but you have to do research on the seller. Since he's your friend, you can trust him. Another thing is that titan x consumes more power. But if you're not gaming on it, i dont think it would matter much. You're just using it for light edits after all. I have a gtx 980 ti and it still runs well today. The only downside is temps and power draw.

Solution
Aug 8, 2020
I have been offered a used EVGA GTX Titan X for $250. It's from a friend no mining and no overclocking, and I was wondering if you guys feel like this is a good deal?

I have been looking at a gpu for a secondary computer for a little bit now. My plan was to buy a new 3000 series gpu when they launch for my main gaming computer and move my current 1080ti to my secondary computer. It would be paired with a ryzen 3700x and the computer is mainly used for light edits and some 3D printing. My heart says jump on it but I am not sure if the card is at a good price or just overkill for a secondary PC. Looking for some extra opinions.

I think that it is a good deal. Just about a month ago EVGA was selling them for $299 with a 1 year warranty on their B-Stock. They are no longer listed unfortunately but they do have a killer deal on a CLC 280 & 360. The 12gb of ram is really nice in Flight Simulator. I am currently using a Titan X Pascal and love having the VRAM. Best of luck.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...I have a pre-owned Titan-X that I picked up recently, it's working just fine, particularly as I am into 3D development and rendering rather than gaming, and that 12 GB of VRAM comes in extremely handy (4 more GB than the 1070 or standard 1080). In my book that also determines"render speed" as if a scene exceeds VRAM the the process either crashes or dumps to the much slower CPU depending on the render engine and graphics software.

3000 series cards? Forget it due to Crypto Rush II and all the scalping (a standard 3060 which is has an MSRP of 329$ and is relatively comparable to the Titan-X is going for almost as much as what the older card cost when it was released 6 years ago).

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
maxwell titan x is nothing to write home about performance wise, and as others before me pointed out, it's quite a power hog. If 3D rendering or CAD is what you do most, you would do much better with Nvidia QUADRO from that era onwards. On the paper they may look almost inferior, but the its the quadro drivers that make all the difference. And a surprisingly large one at that. Now normally these cost several thousands new , but they pop in on ebay every once in a while in a few hundred range.