[SOLVED] is a h100i pro enough?

Solution
Throttle temps for that cpu start at 85°C. Aida64 also uses AVX technologies and linpack, so temps are going to run higher than any game can ever reach, they really don't use much AVX at all, that's mostly for a few (and in the case of AVX-512 extremely few) professional type content creation programs.

You'll get a better sense of actual gaming max temps running Prime95 small fft with AVX disabled.

Max boost only applies to single core results. If the cpu is using multiple cores, it'll automatically lower boost values, upto what it considers safe ranges for temps and voltages. Only way past that is to set locked core, max boost values higher than rated, overclocking. At which point you'd also be lowering vcore etc from what the cpu...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not a problem. The Corsair H100i Pro is a 250w+ cooler. The R5 3600 will be lucky to see 100w with OC.

The only Ryzens it'd maybe run into issues with are the 3900x/3950x under torture tests. But those 2 cpus are better off with a 280mm/360mm AIO anyways. But if you can afford those cpus, and a motherboard to really support them as they need, a more expensive cooling solution isn't an issue either.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Not a problem. The Corsair H100i Pro is a 250w+ cooler. The R5 3600 will be lucky to see 100w with OC.

The only Ryzens it'd maybe run into issues with are the 3900x/3950x under torture tests. But those 2 cpus are better off with a 280mm/360mm AIO anyways. But if you can afford those cpus, and a motherboard to really support them as they need, a more expensive cooling solution isn't an issue either.
im getting 78c running aida64 stress test, but one problem, im not getting boost speeds, max i saw during test was like 3.89ghz b450 tomahawk board with latest bios

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Throttle temps for that cpu start at 85°C. Aida64 also uses AVX technologies and linpack, so temps are going to run higher than any game can ever reach, they really don't use much AVX at all, that's mostly for a few (and in the case of AVX-512 extremely few) professional type content creation programs.

You'll get a better sense of actual gaming max temps running Prime95 small fft with AVX disabled.

Max boost only applies to single core results. If the cpu is using multiple cores, it'll automatically lower boost values, upto what it considers safe ranges for temps and voltages. Only way past that is to set locked core, max boost values higher than rated, overclocking. At which point you'd also be lowering vcore etc from what the cpu sets as Auto voltages.

With both of my Intels, and I own an X61 (basically same as X62 but different fans), I got lower voltages and lower temps with OC, than running Auto voltages. 70°C at 4.9GHz, Prime95 small fft, 1.308v on an i7-3770K. On Auto, it was 1.425v, over 80°C.

Solution

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

Max boost only applies to single core results. If the cpu is using multiple cores, it'll automatically lower boost values, upto what it considers safe ranges for temps and voltages. Only way past that is to set locked core, max boost values higher than rated, overclocking. At which point you'd also be lowering vcore etc from what the cpu sets as Auto voltages.

With both of my Intels, and I own an X61 (basically same as X62 but different fans), I got lower voltages and lower temps with OC, than running Auto voltages. 70°C at 4.9GHz, Prime95 small fft, 1.308v on an i7-3770K. On Auto, it was 1.425v, over 80°C.
so what exactly do you think i should do? and are my temps decent?

Did you run test with AVX or without? You have a selection in bios that reduces max speed for AVX. If you disable it will hit max boost but will be a lot hotter. If you run games without AVX boost will hit max. You can also overclock by setting a set speed that it will always run.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To me, on that cooler, 78°C is a little high. But there's multiple settings, voltages, and other things that can affect that temp. Such as airflow, cam settings, auto voltages, AVX etc. So that temp is kinda moot without having gone into the pc and made any attempt to see just what can be done, what is being done and what needs to be done.

For all we know or can see, you don't have Cam installed, you have auto voltages defaults set which are riding over 1.4+v under loads and ran an AVX/linpack test which drives a cpu upto @ 130% equivalent. All that combined is an absolute worst case scenario, so 78°C even stock default speeds, isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

Most testers will test a car for its 0-60mph acceleration on a long, flat road with no wind. What you've done is that same test, going down a really steep hill with a really strong tailwind. Can sorta expect results to be wonky.

Last edited: