Is a hyper 212 EVO good enough to OC a i7 4790k

Arcurus

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/62Mdzy
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/62Mdzy/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($80.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($120.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: *Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($319.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1052.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-14 21:26 EST-0500

Title says it all, I will be gaming, running bots on runescape, and that's about it. I'm thinking I want to OC to around 4.4 ghz, is the hyper 212 fine?

Solution
Depending on your CPU (every CPU has a unique temp and voltage curve, within general boundaries) and your case cooling, the 212 should be good up to 4.6 but it's not guaranteed. 4.6 is pretty common with the 4790K and EVO, but if you want to go over that, you'll probably need a better cooler.
Depending on your CPU (every CPU has a unique temp and voltage curve, within general boundaries) and your case cooling, the 212 should be good up to 4.6 but it's not guaranteed. 4.6 is pretty common with the 4790K and EVO, but if you want to go over that, you'll probably need a better cooler.

Solution

Arcurus

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Theoretically speaking if I had bad airflow for whatever reason would I need a better cooler or is 212 fine? My friend said that 4790k should be liquid cooled if ocing it. He also said heating a processor wastes its performance.

Arcurus

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

Is the Phanteks PH-TC14PE 140mm UFB (Updraft Floating Balance) CPU Cooler better than the Hyper 212 EVO?

Arcurus

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

Well since I hear each cpu is different could anyone recommend me a cpu cooler that's around ~40 or so? I want to overclock a good amount but at the same time don't want to really throw $65 into a cooler :/ .

The 212 punches well above its weight. Until you get into HSFs in the $65 plus range, the price differential between the 212 and more expensive models might get something that looks cooler but will only give you marginal performance improvements. If you are going to try to go over 4.6 on air, you're going to have to shell out some money for one of the big boys, like a Phanteks TC14 or Noctua NH-U14S, D-14, D15, etc. Otherwise, I'd stick with the 212 - it's a solid unit, it's very quiet even maxed out, and you can't beat the price to performance ratio.

As far as the case cooling goes, if you don't have good unobstructed air flow in and out of the case, even a top-end cooler is only going to get you mediocre temps. The GTX 970 runs pretty cool, so that's not a major concern. You don't have a case or fan configuration listed, so we can't address specifics, but you'll want to make sure that your cables are bundled neatly and out of the way so they don't disrupt the airflow, you keep the intake filters clean, any removable internal drive racks and trays that aren't occupied are removed, etc. If you tell us what you're using for a case and what fans are in it and how they're placed, we can give you more specific pointers.

Arcurus

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

I don't want to OC it that much, but I want the OC 24/7. I was thinking if I can get lucky enough to get the cpu @ 4.6 ghz with a hyper 212, but what if I don't and can only go like 4.2-4.3 ghz with it.

I am going to use a old case I found and it has a cooler installed in the wall, along with an extra cooler that I have no clue where to plug in because I haven't recieved my parts yet.

In this imgur picture is my case with an old Mini-ATX motherboard and 600W power supply for size comparison along with the side of the case and an extra dusty fan.

Case: http://imgur.com/IHgkvKL

Does that have a cutout in the mobo tray? If not, you're not going to be able to mount a 212 in that. You may have issues with the case connectors, and you're probably going to have a challenge cooling it.

If you're ready to plunk $1K down for high-speed components, I would recommend kicking out the $60-$100 for a case that will do the system justice. If budget is an issue, just use the stock cpu cooler or hold off until you save the extra $, or both.

There's no guarantees when it comes to OCing. If you get a dud CPU, you might not get to 4.6GHz with a 280mm water cooler. You buy your ticket and take your chances. Having said that, it's at least even odds, probably better, that you'll be able to get a stable 24/7 4.6 with the 212. If not, return it and get something better. You'll need solid case cooling regardless, OC or not, to get the best performance from your system.

Arcurus

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

I am prepared to get a better case for around $50-100, I was sold on a case for $50 before but I wanted an SSD so I figured if I just used this case I could save $50. I've no idea how this case performs, when I found it it even had a floppy drive in it. As to the cut-out for a mobo, I don't know what that means. You could see some of my floor through the case because the other side wasn't on.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
with the 4790k, the 212 is good to roughly 1.25 volts or under, after that it will run too hot, so a more efficient cooler will be required.

My 212-plus is cooling my 4790k to 4.7ghz. I only need 1.23 vcore however. At that speed and voltage, I'm getting low to mid 70's prime95 v27.

I would have to guess even with an inefficient chip, you should be able to run 4.4ghz almost guaranteed. 4.5-4-6 should be obtainable with the evo as long as you don't get a complete crap chip, and the computer room isn't hot. You need pretty low ambient temps for that cooler to do well, if you are in a 80f room, you should buy a better cooler.

Arcurus

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

First computer I've ever built so I don't know the terminology. My room is usually ~65? (Rough estimate, right now it's 63) If I get a crap chip am I able to order a replacement or will I be stuck? I'm assuming your low vcore means you got a good chip?

Arcurus

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

First computer I've ever built so I don't know the terminology. My room is usually ~65? (Rough estimate, right now it's 63) If I get a crap chip am I able to order a replacement or will I be stuck? I'm assuming your low vcore means you got a good chip?

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
not really, only if the chip doesn't do advertized speed within the chips vid range. But some people get lucky at say microcenter that has very good customer service. if you had to, If you get a bad chip, you could always return it and buy another one from somewhere else I suppose. 65f is a cool room, do you keep it like that year round? Because the overclock will be affected when the summer comes if not.

Yeah i got lucky, I have a better than average chip. Another thing you can do is look for an x4 batch on the box, that batch seems to be pretty good and consistent.