Question Is a i7 6800k jump to a i7 6900k good?

holmesc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2016
I enjoy gaming and I heard that the i7 6900k is more of a work station CPU than a gaming one due to the lower Ghz.

Is this true, or would a 6900k make a difference on cpu intensive games?

A friend is changing his motherboard and since i'm still on the x99 I figured i'd buy it off him for cheap.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I enjoy gaming and I heard that the i7 6900k is more of a work station CPU than a gaming one due to the lower Ghz.

Is this true, or would a 6900k make a difference on cpu intensive games?

A friend is changing his motherboard and since i'm still on the x99 I figured i'd buy it off him for cheap.
These are already 6 years old and unless it's free not enough difference to really matter.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6800K/3605vs3607

holmesc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2016

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So no difference? He's selling it for dirt cheap, so yea I guess you can say "free".
I'm not planning on getting a new MB anytime soon so that may be the maximum "upgrade" I can go for now if it actually boosts anything.
Very little difference so up to you. The difference would probably never be noticed unless your looking for 3 or 4 more FPS. Even that depends on if your video card is already holding your FPS back.

holmesc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2016
Very little difference so up to you. The difference would probably never be noticed unless your looking for 3 or 4 more FPS. Even that depends on if your video card is already holding your FPS back.

I understand, my main concern was originally whether or not it wasn't for gaming or not and if it would be a upgrade rather then a downgrade for that purpose. My friend likes to do 3d rendering or I didn't know if I'd be buying a cpu that would hinder gaming rather than boost it.