[SOLVED] Is a intel i7 2600k still worth it?

Oct 26, 2021
Hello,

I am curently looking for an upgrade to my pc.
And I'm wondering if a intel core i7 2600k with a gigabyte h61m ds2 motherboard is worth buying.

I am on a very tight budget and I can get these components for very cheap. I would want to overclock the i7 but I don't know if I could do that on said mb. (I will get a good cooler)

It would be a good upgrade over my intel core 2 quad q9300 and 4gb ram. (I want to get 16gb cuz ddr3 is cheap)

Is it a good deal or should I just save up more?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, it really depends on how cheap.

You can buy whole working desktops for under $200 as mentioned in your last post. (Here is one i7-4790)

https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex-7020-business-desktops-workstations/p/1VK-0001-5N768

I have bought this model before and adapted a new PSU into it and slapped in a GTX970 all in a larger chassis. Not super easy, but the i7-4790 is almost worth the purchase price alone.

You would not be able to overclock with an H board. You would need P or Q (This was before Z, though a Z77/Z75/Q75 would also work)

If you wanted to buy used, maybe track down someone selling off a 1st or 2nd generation Ryzen, that would put you around the Intel 4th generation performance range and get you on a DDR4 platform. With the right motherboard, like B450, you could then later upgrade all the way to the current Ryzen 5000 chips.

Basically, buying a DDR3 system now is going to limit you to up to 4th gen Intel and AMD FX processors, which don't even compete with the 2700k.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

You can buy whole working desktops for under $200 as mentioned in your last post. (Here is one i7-4790)

https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex-7020-business-desktops-workstations/p/1VK-0001-5N768

I have bought this model before and adapted a new PSU into it and slapped in a GTX970 all in a larger chassis. Not super easy, but the i7-4790 is almost worth the purchase price alone.

You would not be able to overclock with an H board. You would need P or Q (This was before Z, though a Z77/Z75/Q75 would also work)

If you wanted to buy used, maybe track down someone selling off a 1st or 2nd generation Ryzen, that would put you around the Intel 4th generation performance range and get you on a DDR4 platform. With the right motherboard, like B450, you could then later upgrade all the way to the current Ryzen 5000 chips.

Basically, buying a DDR3 system now is going to limit you to up to 4th gen Intel and AMD FX processors, which don't even compete with the 2700k.

jay32267

Champion
Oct 26, 2021

Well I thought of saving a bit longer to buy a used ryzen 3 3100 (from a diffrent thread) the fact that I can just upgrade the cpu/gpu without buying a new mb (also better perfomance) AND it will cost about 120$ more to go for that I start to think just frick it and go for the ryzen.

Thanks

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS