is a laptop with Optimus able to output 120hz in a 144hz monitor?

BBS11

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
I'm using MSI GS70 2PC (GTX860m.) However, it has Optimus technology, and the main card is Intel HD graphics 4600.

Some people said that whatever I do, the external monitor will route to my Intel card. On the other hand, some said that the monitor will connect with the Nvidia card. Therefore, it will be able to produce 120hz.
(Please bare in mind that I only have the option to choose between 60hz and 120hz in Intel control panel, not Nvidia control panel.)

What do you guys think about this?

I'm planning to buy the monitor, so I just want to make sure that it's worth a try.

Thank you brothers!

Solution
Which GPU is active at any one time is determined by what software application is running on the laptop and/or which applications/games are configured by the user to use the high-performance Nvidia GPU as opposed to the Intel GPU.

Additionally, if only the Windows shell is running, the Intel GPU is always the active one.

So, as you can see, whether or not an external monitor is attached makes no difference. That's doesn't influence the behaviour of the laptop's switchable graphics feature in any way.
Which GPU is active at any one time is determined by what software application is running on the laptop and/or which applications/games are configured by the user to use the high-performance Nvidia GPU as opposed to the Intel GPU.

Additionally, if only the Windows shell is running, the Intel GPU is always the active one.

So, as you can see, whether or not an external monitor is attached makes no difference. That's doesn't influence the behaviour of the laptop's switchable graphics feature in any way.

Solution