Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
Good day,

Is the Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO cooler enough for an all core overclocked 5900x? My 5900x which is currently overclocked on all cores at 4.5ghz is cooled by my 4 year old cooler which is the corsair h115i 280mm aio cooler. I'm looking to overclock it further to at least 4.7ghz on all cores.....or at least as close to its boost clock which is 4.8 ghz at respectable temps. I'm not really one to let a couple hundred mhz slip by, I want to squeeze every bit of performance possible. So is the galahad 360 enough to cool it if it is overclocked at around 4.6 or 4.7ghz or even at its boost clock of 4.8ghz on all cores (if possible)? Right now the cpu throttles under full load, which is something I have already expected since it is being cooled by a 4 year old cooler. My goal is to overclock it as near to its boost clock of 4.8ghz on all cores while staying under its TDP limit which is 90 degrees at full load.

Thanks.

Solution
I have the ASUS B550 F Gaming WIFI as my motherboard. I do agree it can't be guaranteed that I will reach m ydesired frequency but at least it is one step closer, as I've said I wanna squeeze every possible performance even if I can just reach a couple more hundred mhz on the galahad.
That is a again a good quality Tier A board so it should compliment well...
The Galahad is a Top Tier AIO and it is as good as you can get in terms of CPU cooling. But whether you will be able reach the 4.8 threshold cannot be guaranteed as your OC is not only dependent on just cooler. Along with a top cooler you need a top board with high quality VRM and power phases as well as thermal paste, case, case fans and ambient temp. And when you have met all the above criterias with the best possible components, it is still not enough as your CPU binning will determine how far you can clock eventually.
So, do not take it for granted that Galahad can give you better result instantly, but it is definitely one step closer...

Reactions: Iver Hicarte

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
The Galahad is a Top Tier AIO and it is as good as you can get in terms of CPU cooling. But whether you will be able reach the 4.8 threshold cannot be guaranteed as your OC is not only dependent on just cooler. Along with a top cooler you need a top board with high quality VRM and power phases as well as thermal paste, case, case fans and ambient temp. And when you have met all the above criterias with the best possible components, it is still not enough as your CPU binning will determine how far you can clock eventually.
So, do not take it for granted that Galahad can give you better result instantly, but it is definitely one step closer...
I have the ASUS B550 F Gaming WIFI as my motherboard. I do agree it can't be guaranteed that I will reach my desired frequency but at least it is one step closer, as I've said I wanna squeeze every possible performance even if I can just reach a couple more hundred mhz, I just don't wanna get stuck on 4.5ghz, for sure I can squeeze 200 more mhz on a new cooler, don't wanna waste those couple hundred mhz.

I have the ASUS B550 F Gaming WIFI as my motherboard. I do agree it can't be guaranteed that I will reach m ydesired frequency but at least it is one step closer, as I've said I wanna squeeze every possible performance even if I can just reach a couple more hundred mhz on the galahad.
That is a again a good quality Tier A board so it should compliment well...

Solution
Is the Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO cooler enough for an all core overclocked 5900x?
What are the processing workloads you plan on throwing at it? Gaming, even the most demanding, is pretty light so I'd think it should be enough. Short renderings running less than a couple hours probably won't saturate the liquid volume. But a 20 hour rendering, for instance, might prove a lot more challenging. For that kind of work a good CLC system with a high-flow pump, large water block, thick 360mm rad and much larger water volume might be essential to be guaranteed of not coming in next day to a crashed system and missed deadline.

Last edited:

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
What are the processing workloads you plan on throwing at it? Gaming, even the most demanding, is pretty light so I'd think it should be enough. Short renderings running less than a couple hours probably won't saturate the liquid volume. But a 20 hour rendering, for instance, might prove a lot more challenging. For that kind of work a good CLC system with a high-flow pump, large water block, thick 360mm rad and much larger water volume might be essential to be guaranteed of not coming in next day to a crashed system and missed deadline.
I'm a professional editor so I work with editing programs almost everyday.

I'm a professional editor so I work with editing programs almost everyday.
I wouldn't think editing written material to be demanding computationaly as I imagine they involve applications such as MSWord, Adobe Acrobat. Editing video can be very demanding, especially if they result in long batch renderings into multiple finished formats.

I would never recommend overclocking any production computer that you may rely on for meeting a deadline. But if you did, I'd strongly suggest a closed loop system for maximum cooling capacity when we're talking about a 5950X. Definitely not an AIO even if it seems adequate.

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
I wouldn't think editing written material to be demanding computationaly as I imagine they involve applications such as MSWord, Adobe Acrobat. Editing video can be very demanding, especially if they result in long batch renderings into multiple finished formats.

I would never recommend overclocking any production computer that you may rely on for meeting a deadline. But if you did, I'd strongly suggest a closed loop system for maximum cooling capacity when we're talking about a 5950X. Definitely not an AIO even if it seems adequate.
I don't edit written materials I edit videos. So I use programs such as Vegas Pro and After Effects/Premiere Pro.

I don't edit written materials I edit videos. So I use programs such as Vegas Pro and After Effects/Premiere Pro.
Then definitely. A 360mm AIO might be enough for gaming and casual use even overclocking, but on a computer you base your profession on, doing such demanding work as that, it really needs a good closed loop cooling system so you can be assured of meeting deadlines.

A safer approach would be to use PBO with curve optimizer. You can get 99% the performance of an overclock with much lower temperature so less demanding of cooling. Also better stability at heavy processing loads as instability shows up in light processing.

Reactions: Iver Hicarte