Is a LSP 750w ATX Ulta able to power msi gtx 1080?

May 19, 2018
Trying to see if my lsp ultra 750w ATX power supply will power a msi gtx 1080
It came with 2x 6-pin pic Express connectors
1x 8-pin pic express connector

Solution

Generally speaking, you shouldn't ask questions if you only want the answer you want.

Nobody's saying you need the most expensive power supply. Just a power supply of the most very basic, entry-level safety. You say it hasn't given you problems, but you're...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If this is your GTX 1080, the PSU should already have the necessary 6-pin and 6+2 pin connectors to power the card.

Lehan123456789

Respectable
Sep 10, 2016

I'm going to have to strongly suggest that you don't use that power supply with a 1080. The mixed reviews online seem to indicate they have bad quality control, and, from what I've seen, it is OEM'd by either Andyson or wintech - both not great choices. Just because it can technically power it, doesn't mean it can or should in practice. It also seems the use low quality chinese capacitors, which I would expect to start failing soon (it has been many years since this unit was sold).

DSzymborski

Titan

If this isn't how the tester used to "review" this power supply:

JGTesting1.jpg

Then it's not a review.

Good luck to you. I'm sure backing up your $600 GPU with garbage is a fantastic idea.

"Hey, this guy on the internet said I can use duct tape to fix my brakes! So I can spend my brake repair money on those fancy rims I wanted!"

DSzymborski

Titan

Those aren't reviews. They're random customers with no ability to test power supplies.

Sites stopped testing Ultra power supplies long ago after they went to junk Chinese platforms.

Power supplies with mystery platforms, especially ones that are on platforms with a history of being junk, are guilty until proven innocent. Any power supply on an unknown platform that has not been reviewed is un-purchasable and unusuable without a review.

May 19, 2018

Then show me some reviews saying that it's a bad power supply it hasn't given my rx 480 any issues. And what's with the harsh words I came here to ask a simple question and some was a blessing to answer it with out talking down to me of what power supply I use.

DSzymborski

Titan

The burden of proof is on the power supply. How do you know your RX 480 has any issues or not? How are you testing the capacitors? Junk power supplies do long-term damage, not just sudden explosive fiery damage. It's like eating a pound of bacon for breakfast every morning and say your heart has no issues becuase you're not dead.

We're trying to keep you from making one of the worst, most expensive, most amateur mistakes that anyone can do when building a PC. Not much more to say; if I care about your $600 to $1000 (depending on the rest of the rig) more than you do, you're an adult and it's your problem.

Best of luck to you.

I think you are missing the point.

You say you've been using it and it has not given you any issues. - While that is probably true, it's not a well made PSU and it may take your PC or parts of it with it if it fails. That's why we always talk about quality PSU's around here.

The reason we cannot give you bad technical reviews is that people have stopped reviewing these because they were not using quality parts. There was no incentive to review these as they were sub par.

We can all agree it's your money, and you can spend it any way you want, we just try to help others realize that their reasoning "it's been fine for a year" may not be valid. The PSU is the heart of any system, a QUALITY PSU will provide the proper power as needed, offer the proper connectors as needed, and protect your system in the even of an issue.

Good luck in whatever you do.

bignastyid

Titan
Your LSP is the same thing as a 600w Raidmax Cobra(RX-600AC) with a different paint job, but even Raidmax had enough sense to only label it as a 600w unit.

You usually don't see professional reviews on such low end units because they don't want people knowing how bad they are(it'd hurt sales), so they don't send them to places for review. Here's a rare review of a Raidmax unit built by the same OEM as your LSP, Andyson

If you want to gamble your system and money with a cheap PSU that's your choice but you can't say you weren't warned.

DSzymborski

Titan

Or it's Tacens and they send reviewers a model with components that don't match the one actually for sale.

bignastyid

Titan

Cooler Master has done similar. Send in a decent unit made by FSP for the review but the one you can buy is made by Seventeam or Solytech.

DSzymborski

Titan

Still? I had been under the impression that they had reformed the worst of these practices.

And at least they never sold a Leadman!

I'm still laughing about those pictures, from Jonnyguru at some point, showing a PFC that was just a chunk of cement with blue tape wrapped around it.

May 19, 2018

As I said before this power supply has not shown no signs of damaging any of my parts everything is still functioning fine and you still haven't shown me any proof of how bad this power supply is.

DSzymborski

Titan

If you found a vial of unmarked pills in the sewer, would you insist they're OK since nobody proved that you shouldn't take them? We help people deal with the aftermath of decision-making such as yours everyday.

Regardless, you're an adult, so choosing bling over safety is entirely your prerogative. You're not damaging any of our equipment, after all.

May 19, 2018

The example you used doesn't make any sense. You call talking down to me because I have don't have the most expensive power supply on the market help? I came here to ask a simple question not to be harassed because of the power supply I have in my rig. Like I said before I haven't had any issues with this power supply and I owned it going on a year now. If you want to help someone have better choice of friendly insightful words instead of your PC elitist grammar.

DSzymborski

Titan

Generally speaking, you shouldn't ask questions if you only want the answer you want.

Nobody's saying you need the most expensive power supply. Just a power supply of the most very basic, entry-level safety. You say it hasn't given you problems, but you're asserting something that can't possibly be true; most of the damage a power supply does to components is *invisible* in the short-term. Unless you you have high-end testing equipment that costs thousands of dollars, you can't possibly assert how the power supply has been performing for the last year. Like late-stage cancer, it's very common to not see any obvious, visible symptoms until the damage has already been done.

Everybody in this thread knows your power supply is junk. And I would be shocked if there was a single person here with a power supply badge -- a sign of resolving the issues people have -- that would think your power supply is of any quality or smart to use with a $600 GPU.

I'm going to unfollow this thread and cross my fingers that we don't see you back in a year, like many who make this choice, wondering why you smell burnt capacitors or why your PC won't start with your GPU plugged in. I'm not into schadenfreude; I prefer to save inexperienced PC builders from foolish courses of action before they enter into them rahter than crow "I told you so" later. Best of luck to you.

Solution