[SOLVED] Is a motherboard upgrade worth it?

haaris.hasan03

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
So I built a budget PC in 2016 and have been upgrading all the parts since, except for the motherboard. I have an ASUS H110M-A right now, and I've been wondering if an upgrade is worth it. I don't need to upgrade anything else right now, so I don't know how much upgrading the motherboard will increase performance. I have a 7700k and 16 gb of RAM that's running at 2400 mhz because that's the max compatible speed with this mobo, otherwise it could be running at 3000. My PC has been getting lower performance than I think it should, compared to PCs with similar specs that I've seen, except that they have high-end motherboards, so I've been wondering if my motherboard is the problem. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

Solution
So I built a budget PC in 2016 and have been upgrading all the parts since, except for the motherboard. I have an ASUS H110M-A right now, and I've been wondering if an upgrade is worth it. I don't need to upgrade anything else right now, so I don't know how much upgrading the motherboard will increase performance. I have a 7700k and 16 gb of RAM that's running at 2400 mhz because that's the max compatible speed with this mobo, otherwise it could be running at 3000. My PC has been getting lower performance than I think it should, compared to PCs with similar specs that I've seen, except that they have high-end motherboards, so I've been wondering if my motherboard is the problem. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.
Higher...
Higher memory speeds can increase your fps, but getting a new or used Z270 motherboard is going to be expensive and it actually makes more sense to buy a new platform for Ryzen 4000 or maybe an i5-10600K after selling the 7700K.

Last edited:
Solution