[SOLVED] Is a Noctua NH-U12S over cooler master 212 evo worth it for a Zen 3 5900X?

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Been looking at parts to build a new Zen 3 system to replace my current intel system and now I'm trying to decide if I will stick to buying the same air cooler I used last time or if this 12 core CPU could use a more powerful cooler to maintain it's boost clocks. Based on what I've read I don't think a liquid cooler would be worth the cost or possible leakage. I'm also open to suggestions for other air coolers. The other thing has been deciding on a case that supports a blu-ray drive. It's shocking to me how few cases don't even support a 5.25 drive now, but thankfully choices for that still exist.

Until you actually see user benchmarks and thermals, you can't be certain what you need.
But, I expect that you will want more than the presumably current hyper212 that you now have.
Noctua NH-U12s is an excellent cooler, but still the radiator size and fan are not much different than your current cooler.
I would plan on something stronger similar to what current 12 core/24 thread processors need.
Since you are also looking for a case with front dvd bay, also check that it has sufficient height for a good cooler. 160mm will do it for a NH-U15s with twin towers and 140mm fan.
Buy a case with at least two front 120/140mm fresh air intakes (preferably filtered)

Reactions: 4ktv and M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Better to wait for benchmarks for sure, but TDP is the same as the previous gen so I would look at last gen reviews. These are some of the tower coolers I was considering for my 3800x.
Noctua NH-D14 or D15, DeepCool Assassin, Scythe Ninja/Mugen, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro. Personally if my AIO ever fails I would replace it with a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black.

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Better to wait for benchmarks for sure, but TDP is the same as the previous gen so I would look at last gen reviews. These are some of the tower coolers I was considering for my 3800x.
Noctua NH-D14 or D15, DeepCool Assassin, Scythe Ninja/Mugen, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro. Personally if my AIO ever fails I would replace it with a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black.

From the reviews I've read a Noctua NH-D14 is fairly close to a 15. I only looked into the U12 because of the cooler height. I think right now I'm leaning toward getting a Noctua NH-D14 unless there's a different cooler in the $60 range that does better.

TRENDING THREADS