Jul 20, 2019
Just a clarification I am not a pc expert in any shape or form, i would not even call myself a beginner, I just want to know some facts so I can move on with an upgrade or a new pc in general.

This are my system specifications:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i3 530 @ 2.93GHz
Clarkdale 32nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 304Ah (XU1 PROCESSOR)
Graphics
ASUS VP228 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 (MSI)
Storage
232GB Seagate ST250DM000-1BD141 (SATA )

I mainly Play CSGO at medium to low settings at 1920x1080 with 60fps average, but I get some very noticable frame drops.
My friend said that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU and that it is not letting my gpu reach it's top preformance I don't know if that is true since I have seen people play Gta V with this gpu
Well If my Cpu is the problem please let me know if it's possible to upgrade it or will I need a new mother board and power suply aswell.

[Any help is deeply appreciated thanks for viewing this post]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Looking at that motherboard, are you working with an HP prebuilt? If so, please list the SKU and/or model for your prebuilt system. We can move forward from there. You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU as well as it's age.

That system is overall pretty slow for gaming, without a budget no way to say what you can change or what system you can replace it with. For about $500 you can build a much faster system. You can probably sell yours for a bit over $100 with that 1030 card.

A 240 watt older OEM power supply won't allow you to upgrade your video card much.

Your CPU and video card are pretty well matched, CPU is older but the video card is low end. Would mostly depend on the game as to what part is the issue.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
There's also the question of whether or not that GT 1030 is the GDDR5 version, or the SDDR4 version of that graphics card. The former performs better than the latter, due to slightly higher boost clocks and significantly higher video memory bandwidth.

But, yeah, I have to join the consensus. Given the dated technology, it's probably not worth swapping much in that existing system, but better to put money toward a modern system with modern components. You could move the GT 1030 over to the new system as well, though you may consider getting a more capable video card.

It depends on what your budget is, and overall goals are.

Another factor - assuming that's an OEM version of Windows 10, then that license is not transferable, and you'd have to account for purchasing Windows 10.

A retail version of Windows 10 would be transferable, though.