[SOLVED] Is a PCIe 2.0 Graphics Card compatible with PCIe 4.0 Motherboard?

Jun 26, 2020
I'm planning to sell an old gpu which is an ASUS GT 630 (worked fine in my old setup last time i tried it) so I tried plugging it in my B450 motherboard to test it but the beep codes say that it does not detect any graphics card. I tried reseating it but that didn't work. I've searched google for answers but it just says the 4.0 backward compatibility with 3.0 nothing about 2.0. My mobo is fine and works well with newer gpu.

Solution
b450 does not have pcie 4.0 on it.

so not sure what you are looking at. but it should be backward compatible anyway. try it back in the old system again to be sure it still works. if it won't work with the b450, then you know it is something else but it should not be due to the 2.0 on a 3.0 slot.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

so not sure what you are looking at. but it should be backward compatible anyway. try it back in the old system again to be sure it still works. if it won't work with the b450, then you know it is something else but it should not be due to the 2.0 on a 3.0 slot.

Solution
Jun 26, 2020

Oh i thought B450 uses a 4.0. Sadly I don't have my old pc anymore. I guess I'll just bring it to the nearest repair shop and have it checked. Thanks man.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no problem. putting it into another system is the best quick test to make sure it still works.

a friend's pc that you use for a few to plug it in works just as well. don't even need to mess with drivers. it should run with the basic driver for a quick test to be sure it works.