[SOLVED] Is a Phantom USB Device confusing Windows?

Aug 11, 2020
Hi, I built my PC less than a month ago. Everything is running smoothly.
Specs: MSI GeForce 2070, Ryzen 7 3700x, Gskill Trident 32gb 3200DDR4, ASrock B550 Steel Legend, Seasonic 750w Gold PSU, m.2 WD Black 500Gig, Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD.

About a week ago windows started detecting a phantom USB prompting me with the notification in the bottom right of my monitor and the classic sound of a USB device entering and exiting the port over and over again. It is nonstop and incredibly annoying. I have unhooked every peripheral from the rear I/O and still get the notification. Its pinging me like 50 times a minute.

In Device Manager, sometimes the Yellow ! icon will appear over "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" Other times, I need to Go View>Hidden Devices for it to pop up. I have tried disabling, uninstalling, and reinstalling drivers. It always tells me the drivers are up to date. I even used 3rd party software to screen for needed drivers and came back clean and up to date. Every time I uninstall or disable, it defaults itself back to enabled, or reinstalls.

At this point Im not sure what to do. Location of that device in properties is: Port_#0005.Hub_#0001. Does anyone know how I can find that on my motherboard? I have a 9pin USB header on my mobo for USB_5_6, and it is unused. So I am thinking maybe port5=usb5 on my mobo and it is faulty? I have screenshots to share if you need them and thanks in advance!

Solution
Take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

There may be some additional, relevant error codes, warnings, and even informational events being captured.

Start with Reliability History. It is more user friendly. Right click on any given error for more information.

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

There may be some additional, relevant error codes, warnings, and even informational events being captured.

Start with Reliability History. It is more user friendly. Right click on any given error for more information.

Solution
Aug 23, 2020
About a week ago windows started detecting a phantom USB prompting me with the notification in the bottom right of my monitor and the classic sound of a USB device entering and exiting the port over and over again. It is nonstop and incredibly annoying. I have unhooked every peripheral from the rear I/O and still get the notification. Its pinging me like 50 times a minute.

In Device Manager, sometimes the Yellow ! icon will appear over "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" Other times, I need to Go View>Hidden Devices for it to pop up. I have tried disabling, uninstalling, and reinstalling drivers. It always tells me the drivers are up to date.

Hello! I have the same issue with the same MB! It worked about a week.... Did you find any solution?