Is a response time of 50 ms too much for serious gaming ?

Haverknuppel

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001
I`m planning on buying a new PC.
It`s a standard configuration from Dell ( PC-project from work, a
8200-Dimension extreme ), optional is an 17" flat panel from samsung ( 1701
FP ). I can`t find the response time but I suspect it`s about 50 ms.
I`m wondering if this causes problems like shading with for example Q3.
Configuration is P4-1800, GF3-4 x APG with DVI, 256Mb RDRAM.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I really would advise against a 50ms Response Time. It will make games real bad. 30's and lower are fit for games. Buy your own LCD- it'll probably be cheaper anyway!

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

G

My LCD (compaq tft7020) has 25ms response time and I have no problems with fast-paced games.

Since you have a DVI video card, be sure the LCD you buy supports DVI. Older ones don't and DVI gives an incredible picture!

Save the children :smile:

G

I found another LCD monitor with faster response rate than the Compaq. Have you heard of a company called Solarism? Their 15-inch response rate ranges from 13-27ms. The 17-inch with DVI has the response rate of 20ms! I saw one at my friend's house...it's pretty cool. It's very bright...and I mean very bright. My buddy hook it up with his VCR with his cable and turn the monitor into a TV. I was pretty impressed...so I order the 17-inch myself. You should at least check it out.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is what it says as teh specs for response time for the 17" Solarism: tr:20 ms tf:20 ms, which means that it has a response time of 40ms (u add the two to get total). What I can't help wondering about is won't such high brightness be bad for the eyes?

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think the newest review on the front page covers the 15 inch model of this super bright monitor. It says something about the brightness being good in very well lit offices, which would lead me to believe its not particularly for gaming, or the everyday home PC user.
If your buying from dell check out their Planar 17.4 inchers, they have DVI and some other nice features, as well as 25ms response time.
I too have the Compaq TFT7020 and its excelent, I can't wait to get a new card with DVI so I can see this great performance boost in quality everyone talks about. (I know I talk about it a lot but when you drop $660 for a monitor your allowed to brag) :smile: