[SOLVED] is a ryzen 5 1600 af compatable with a ASRock B450M Steel Legend

Jan 20, 2021
please tell me is the processor compatable with that motherboard because i want to buy them but im not sure if they are compatable if you please answer me simple because im not that into computer stuff and all that

Solution
so in other words it will work and they are compatable?
Only if the motherboard comes with bios 2.90 or newer.

If the motherboard does not come with 2.90, you would need to get another CPU on the CPU support list that is stated as working with All bios versions to either use instead of the 1600 AF or to just update the bios. https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450m steel legend/#CPU Otherwise you can't use the Ryzen 5 1600 AF until the motherboard is updated, but you won't actually know until you try using it with the 1600 AF or is specifically stated on the packaging or documentation with the motherboard. Your only other option would be to get a different motherboard that is known to be ready for the 1600 AF...
Yes that CPU is compatible with that board but the AF version of the 1600 needs a certain BIOS version on the board to be supported.

AM4Ryzen 51600(YD1600BBM6IAF)65WPinnacle Ridge3.2GHz3MBB2P2.90

Says P2.90 for the BIOS on the AF. The non AF says "all".

The board probably does have the BIOS version needed because it's a 2019 BIOS version but just letting you know.

Jan 20, 2021
Yes that CPU is compatible with that board but the AF version of the 1600 needs a certain BIOS version on the board to be supported.

AM4Ryzen 51600(YD1600BBM6IAF)65WPinnacle Ridge3.2GHz3MBB2P2.90

Says P2.90 for the BIOS on the AF. The non AF says "all".

The board probably does have the BIOS version needed because it's a 2019 BIOS version but just letting you know.
how can i update the bios version to p2.90? because as i said i am not into computers if you can explain just by being simple please

how can i be asured it will work and not just give me an error when i put the cpu in?

The only way that board won't support the 1600AF is if the board was in a warehouse for over a year and a half and the information on the board website is giving conflicting info about the 1600 non AF being supported on the first BIOS version of that board but the 1600AF needing 2.90 BUT it says that 2.90 should not be used with a pinnacle ridge CPU which the 1600AF is.

So I'd say that if you buy a B450 board now you're ok. If you want to make sure ask the seller.

so in other words it will work and they are compatable?

If the motherboard does not come with 2.90, you would need to get another CPU on the CPU support list that is stated as working with All bios versions to either use instead of the 1600 AF or to just update the bios. https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450m steel legend/#CPU Otherwise you can't use the Ryzen 5 1600 AF until the motherboard is updated, but you won't actually know until you try using it with the 1600 AF or is specifically stated on the packaging or documentation with the motherboard. Your only other option would be to get a different motherboard that is known to be ready for the 1600 AF, like all the MSI B450 Max version motherboards.

If it's not much more expensive, just get a Ryzen 5 2600, because the 1600 AF is just a lower clocked relabeled 2600.

Solution
Jan 20, 2021

If the motherboard does not come with 2.90, you would need to get another CPU on the CPU support list that is stated as working with All bios versions to either use instead of the 1600 AF or to just update the bios. https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450m steel legend/#CPU Otherwise you can't use the Ryzen 5 1600 AF until the motherboard is updated, but you won't actually know until you try using it with the 1600 AF or is specifically stated on the packaging or documentation with the motherboard. Your only other option would be to get a different motherboard that is known to be ready for the 1600 AF, like all the MSI B450 Max version motherboards.

If it's not much more expensive, just get a Ryzen 5 2600, because the 1600 AF is just a lower clocked relabeled 2600.
how can i update my bios please explain because i dont know how thanks!

how can i update my bios please explain because i dont know how thanks!
Can you link the store webpage for the motherboard and the CPU or are you getting it from a local shop?

The Asrock B450m Steel Legend requires a CPU be installed to access the bios flashing menu, but you don't need to update the bios unless the CPU you buy does not work with the bios version already installed. If you buy the Ryzen 5 2600 instead of the 1600 AF, you don't need to update the bios to use the motherboard.

Jan 20, 2021
Can you link the store webpage for the motherboard and the CPU or are you getting it from a local shop?

The Asrock B450m Steel Legend requires a CPU be installed to access the bios flashing menu, but you don't need to update the bios unless the CPU you buy does not work with the bios version already installed. If you buy the Ryzen 5 2600 instead of the 1600 AF, you don't need to update the bios to use the motherboard.
https://desktop.bg/desktop_cpus-amd-Ryzen_5-amd_ryzen_5_1600af
https://desktop.bg/motherboards-asrock-ASRock_B450-asrock_b450m_steel_legend

I see there are no other CPU options for the same price range. Unless you have another store you can buy from that has the Ryzen 5 2600 that fits your budget, you will probably have to just hope the motherboard was updated with bios 2.90.

If you can stretch your budget, you could get an i5-10400f and a B460 or H470 motherboard and avoid the whole bios issue, but then you will be limited to 2666 ram speed compared to the 3200-3466 with the Ryzen 5 1600AF. You would need a Z490 motherboard to overclock ram past the CPUs 2666 limit.