[SOLVED] Is a Ryzen 5 3600 Compatible with a MSI A320M Pro-M2 V2 Motherboard?

Slazoq

Commendable
Apr 12, 2020
I was going to install a new Ryzen 5 3600 on my motherboard but don't know if it is compatible. Will they work or do I have to get a new motherboard?

Solution
Ok, I might. I heard that updating the bios to be able to use 3rd gen cpus will make them function less good so I dont know

Updating BIOS is what should let you use the Ryzen 3rd gen.

May this action affect your current CPU well it should not.
Some users around the world complainned about some Ryzen 3rd gen not getting the advertised boost speed (it was a 25~50MHz dif in the 90% of the cases) so in their lastest BIOS AMD did some voodoo magic that allowed the 3rd gen Ryzen to reach that adevertised speed (on most cases atleast).
Thats what some "other people" said affect the old Ryzen CPUs after they applied that BIOS update that they didn't need in the first place. And what make their "old" Ryzens work "wierd" you could...

Slazoq

Commendable
Apr 12, 2020
I was going to install a new Ryzen 5 3600 on my motherboard but don't know if it is compatible. Will they work or do I have to get a new motherboard?

Slazoq

Commendable
Apr 12, 2020
it does not mention 3rd gen on the main page (may be old), but, someone does ask about it in support/FAQ, and their answer was yes, it is supported, update BIOS first
Ok, I might. I heard that updating the bios to be able to use 3rd gen cpus will make them function less good so I dont know

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
function worse? kinda, the old chipset will only let the CPU run as fast as the motherboard can, the newer x570 boards can let the ryzen3 preform unhindered.
the a320m board has many feature unsupported that the CPU supports, some are not useful yet. overclocking and memory speeds are one way that the CPU will be hindered with that board.
you could change CPU's while saving for the new board. then when PCIe 4.0 comes along you can swap boards, upgrade GPU and go at full PCIe 4 speeds.

7b84v34.zip is the BIOS that enables ryzen 3 support.
refer to your motherboard manual for proper upgrade instructions, it can be downloaded from MSI if you do not have it handy

Updating BIOS is what should let you use the Ryzen 3rd gen.

May this action affect your current CPU well it should not.
Some users around the world complainned about some Ryzen 3rd gen not getting the advertised boost speed (it was a 25~50MHz dif in the 90% of the cases) so in their lastest BIOS AMD did some voodoo magic that allowed the 3rd gen Ryzen to reach that adevertised speed (on most cases atleast).
Thats what some "other people" said affect the old Ryzen CPUs after they applied that BIOS update that they didn't need in the first place. And what make their "old" Ryzens work "wierd" you could said.

I can't tell you for sure since I don't have an old Ryzen to test, all I can tell you is that there are lots of reviewers out there that already tried the A320 chipset with the Ryzen 5 3600 and it should work ok.

PD: no need to update BIOS untill you have the Ryzen 3rd gen on your home and you are ready to do the swap. Updating BIOS takes around ~5 mins (depending on the mobo and how you do it). So don't rush!

PD2: I never had the advertised bus speed issue with my Ryzen 5 3600, not even with the first BIOS update released.

Cheers

Solution

Slazoq

Commendable
Apr 12, 2020
function worse? kinda, the old chipset will only let the CPU run as fast as the motherboard can, the newer x570 boards can let the ryzen3 preform unhindered.
the a320m board has many feature unsupported that the CPU supports, some are not useful yet. overclocking and memory speeds are one way that the CPU will be hindered with that board.
you could change CPU's while saving for the new board. then when PCIe 4.0 comes along you can swap boards, upgrade GPU and go at full PCIe 4 speeds.

7b84v34.zip is the BIOS that enables ryzen 3 support.
refer to your motherboard manual for proper upgrade instructions, it can be downloaded from MSI if you do not have it handy

Ok. Do you know how much the motherboard would hinder the cpu?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
like underclocking the RAM, that is what essentially is happening.
think of it like this its a speed limit, you could go past it but you need a track and your stuck on public roads. bad car analogy aside its is still a huge upgrade over a first gen ryzen. incremental upgrade steps like this are why I chose AMD.
eyes open-A320 is the most basic limited chipset available for the ryzen CPUs, nothing wrong with them is you understand their limits.

Slazoq

Commendable
Apr 12, 2020
like underclocking the RAM, that is what essentially is happening.
think of it like this its a speed limit, you could go past it but you need a track and your stuck on public roads. bad car analogy aside its is still a huge upgrade over a first gen ryzen. incremental upgrade steps like this are why I chose AMD.
eyes open-A320 is the most basic limited chipset available for the ryzen CPUs, nothing wrong with them is you understand their limits.
Ok. Do you think that using the BIOS update and then using a 3rd Gen CPU would effect actual use very much? If it isn't a big deal I might just do that.

Aug 20, 2020
Ryzen 5 3600 works perfectly with this motherboard. Needs latest beta bios update. No issues at all. The website states 1st gen 2nd gen support with no indication of 3rd gen. However if you check the FAQ and the CPU list support, It clearly states Ryzen 5 3600. No need to buy a MSI A320 MAX. From what the specification show there is no difference between the two. Further I contacted MSI Tech support - BIOS 7B84v34Y beta is needed.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS