Question Is a Ryzen 9 5900x alright to use with asus b450m-a motherboard?

Aug 9, 2022
I just received my brand new 5900x today. However, I have an Asus b450m-a motherboard, and from what I have read I know the upgrade will work and is compatible but I saw on other reddit posts regarding the boards VRMs not being good. Will I be safe installing the 5900x into this MOBO for a temporary time? I'd say for about a month until I can gather some cash to buy a new mobo?

I just received my brand new 5900x today. However, I have an Asus b450m-a motherboard, and from what I have read I know the upgrade will work and is compatible but I saw on other reddit posts regarding the boards VRMs not being good. Will I be safe installing the 5900x into this MOBO for a temporary time? I'd say for about a month until I can gather some cash to buy a new mobo?
It will be safe, but modest VRM's with no cooling will likely run very very hot. You should be aware that it's common for bios updates to support new chips to remove support for older ones.

If you install it I would set a TDP limit in the bios, that would reduce the pressure on the board.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
leave it at stock speeds and it'll be fine. leave PBO turned off.

you don't need a top end mobo but bottom of the barrel is not gonna cut it either. i have one on a GB Aorus pro and it's fine but the vrm's have a heatsink and i have plenty of air flow in the case.

TRENDING THREADS