[SOLVED] Is a Seasonic 550W Bronze+ PSU Enough for a Strix RTX 2080

Dhops

Reputable
Sep 29, 2019
Hello, I have the powersupply stated above, a Ryzen 5 3600 non overclocked, 16 Gigabytes of HyperX 2666 MHZ of ram non overclocked, Stock AMD cooler, a 240 Gigabyte SSD, and A 500 GB HDD, and a 165 HZ 27 Inch monitor, I was wondering if my powersupply is enough for me to run an rtx 2080 on this setup, I have tried outervision's website and it states that my recommended PSU wattage is 439. I posted on reddit and I got varying responses, most said It'd be fine, some said to get a 750W, and I'd rather not go through the trouble for another PSU unless I'm certain it won't work, Here's my outervision result: https://outervision.com/b/tYm4Ik

Solution
For what doe?
The S12III shouldn't be that expensive, because there are often vastly superior PSUs in that price. S12III is famous for not having the best voltage regulation performance and not having proper protections (over temperature and over current protection is missing). So unless you get a REALLY good deal on it, it is not the best.

You could replace it if you want to.
I am assuming an S12iii 550w? The S12iii is not a high quality power supply, nor is it even built by SeaSonic.

Will it work? Most likely. Is it a good idea? No. 550w is fine, but the S12iii is a budget unit that I have seen selling for the $40-50 range. It is not intended for use with a GPU such as an RTX2080.

You don't need 750w. A good 600w would do the trick, or even a better quality 550w.

Dhops

Reputable
Sep 29, 2019
I am assuming an S12iii 550w? The S12iii is not a high quality power supply, nor is it even built by SeaSonic.

Will it work? Most likely. Is it a good idea? No. 550w is fine, but the S12iii is a budget unit that I have seen selling for the $40-50 range. It is not intended for use with a GPU such as an RTX2080.

You don't need 750w. A good 600w would do the trick, or even a better quality 550w.
Yes that is the PSU I have, I bought this for 70$ Brand new. anyhow thank you for your response!

For what doe?
The S12III shouldn't be that expensive, because there are often vastly superior PSUs in that price. S12III is famous for not having the best voltage regulation performance and not having proper protections (over temperature and over current protection is missing). So unless you get a REALLY good deal on it, it is not the best.

You could replace it if you want to.

Solution